Residents to look-out for Rogue Traders following floods
Worcestershire residents and businesses are being warned against rogue traders attempting to make money following the recent storms and flooding.
Instead, officers from Worcestershire Regulatory Services (WRS) wants resident, who may need repairs or other works carrying out, to refer to their Trade Register.
Members of the register have signed up to a code of practice and are dedicated to fair and honest workmanship. Customer feedback for the firms can also be viewed.
Cllr Lucy Hodgson, Chair of the Worcestershire Regulatory Services Joint Committee, said: "Unfortunately damage caused by both flooding and the high winds may encourage some less reputable traders to ‘cold call' in order to try to obtain work.
"You should always be alert when you receive a cold caller at your door. Not all doorstep callers are bogus, but some use aggressive or misleading sales practices. "Rogue traders target vulnerable people and use the appearance of a legitimate business to commit crime and deprive you of your money."
Here are some top tips from the Trading Standards Officers at WRS
· Avoid agreeing to have work carried out on the spur of the moment when people knock on your door.
· Get a number of quotations from different traders
· Make sure that you get a detailed quotation setting out the nature of the job, the price of the components and the time taken to the complete the work
· Make sure you know who you are dealing with. Do you have the traders name, address and contact details?
· Don't hand over any money over in advance
You can view the register at http://www.traderregister.org.uk/ or call 01905 822799
To report an incident or for advice on your rights, including any rights to cancel the contract, please contact Citizens Advice Consumer Service on 08454 04 05 06