You are here: Malvern Hills District Council > Advice, Benefits, Council Tax > Overpayment of Benefit

Overpayment of Benefit

Overpayment of Housing Benefit and Council Tax Support.

An overpayment can happen if we pay you benefit that you are not entitled to.

For example, if you did not tell us that your income had increased and a recalculation of your claim means that you have been paid too much benefit, there will be an overpayment.

When an overpayment is discovered the following facts are established:

  • the period of the overpayment,
  • the amount of the overpayment,
  • the cause of the overpayment.

The following decisions are then made:

  • whether the overpayment is classed as recoverable,
  • whether to recover the overpayment,
  • from whom the overpayment should be recovered.

The benefit claimant will then receive a letter from the council with details of the overpayment. If the Housing Benefit  was being paid to the claimant's landlord they will also receive a letter.

How an overpayment is recovered.

Housing Benefit

In most cases an invoice will be issued. The council will normally take a weekly amount from the claimant's ongoing Housing Benefit  to recover the overpayment if they are still entitled.

Whether a weekly reclaim is set up or not the claimant must contact the council if they are having difficulty repaying the overpayment.

Council Tax Support

Overpayments of Council Tax Support are transferred to the claimant's Council Tax account and are included in future installments.

If you need any help you can:

write to us at:

South Worcestershire Revenues and Benefits Shared Services
P.O Box 11
WR10 1PU



03004 560 560 Monday - Friday 9am to 5pm.

Page Information
This page was last reviewed 17 March 2014 at 16:08 by Sandra Gordon.
The page is next due for review 13 September 2014.
Email this page
Email to a Friend
Fill in the required details below to email this page to a friend.
You have
Add to Favourites Facebook Twitter
Map of Worcestershire Bromsgrove District Council Malvern District Council Redditch Borough Council Worcester City Council Wychavon District Council Wyre Forest District Council
The county of Worcestershire includes the districts of:

Google Translate
Malvern Hills District Council, Council House, Avenue Road, Malvern, WR14 3AF - Directions to Council Offices.