• The full Council Tax bill assumes that there are two adults living in a dwelling.  If only one adult lives in a dwelling (as their main home), the Council Tax bill will be reduced by a quarter (25%) - to claim a single person discount please click on this link.  
  • If a dwelling is no-ones main home, from 1st April 2013 there will be no reduction in the liability, which means that the liability for these scenarios will be 100%. This applies to unoccupied furnished dwellings and furnished second homes.
  • A property that has been empty for a period of up to six months since the last occupation date (as long as it remains empty and unfurnished), can receive a discount of 100% for up to three months, after which a 100% charge applies.
  • Newly built properties that are unoccupied and unfurnished will receive a 100% discount for 3 months, after which they will be liable for the full charge.
  • From 1st April 2013, uninhabitable properties and empty properties undergoing structural alteration or repairs, can now claim a 100% discount for a maximum period of 12 months, instead of an exemption (as long as the property remains empty and unfurnished). After 12 months a 100% charge applies.
  • Some people are not included when counting the number of adult residents in a dwelling, providing they meet the following conditions: 

                    *  Full-time students / student nurses and their non-British spouses / dependants.

                    *  Apprentices and Youth Training Trainees.

                    *  Patients permanently resident in hospital.

                    *  People who are being looked after in care homes.

                    *  People who are severely mentally impaired.

                    *  People staying in certain hostels or night shelters.

                    *  18 and 19 year olds who are at or have just left school.

                    *  Careworkers working for low pay, usually for charities.

                    *  People caring for someone with a disability who is not a spouse, partner or child under 18.

                    *  Members of visiting overseas forces and certain international institutions.

                    *  Members of religious communities (monks and nuns).

                    *  People in prison (except those in prison for nonpayment of Council Tax or a fine).

                    *  Diplomats and members of international organisations headquartered in the UK.

If you think you may be entitled to a discount, and this is not shown on your bill you should contact us.  If your bill shows that an exemption or discount has been allowed and your circumstances have changed please let us know straight away.

If you don’t you could be liable to pay a penalty of £70.  If you continue to fail to provide the correct information you may be liable to pay a further penalty of £200.

If you would like to apply for a discount on your Council Tax bill please contact us.


Page Information
This page was last reviewed 17 March 2014 at 16:08 by Sandra Gordon.
The page is next due for review 13 September 2014.
Email this page
Email to a Friend
Fill in the required details below to email this page to a friend.
You have
Add to Favourites Facebook Twitter
Map of Worcestershire Bromsgrove District Council Malvern District Council Redditch Borough Council Worcester City Council Wychavon District Council Wyre Forest District Council
The county of Worcestershire includes the districts of:

Google Translate
Malvern Hills District Council, Council House, Avenue Road, Malvern, WR14 3AF - Directions to Council Offices.