Gambling Act 2005
Malvern Hills District Council is the Licensing Authority for
all premises within the Malvern Hills District Council boundary.
The Gambling Act 2005 requires all Licensing Authorities to publish
a Gambling Act Licensing Policy, setting out how it administers its
duties under the Gambling Act 2005. The policy Gambling 2005 is
kept under review and remains in existence for up to three years.
As the existing Gambling Act Licensing Policy came into effect on
31st January 2010, the 3-year period will come to an end in January
See below for our gambling related fees and
Advice sheet for Councillors
LACORS has published a
rough guide about Gambling aimed at Licensing Committee Members
- it gives a useful summary of the Act and this Council's
powers and duties (November 2009).
To apply for any of the following, please complete the relevant
form and take it, together with payment to a
Customer Service Centre, or post it to: Worcestershire
Regulatory Services (Licensing), Malvern Hills District Council,
Council House, Avenue Road, Malvern. WR14 3AF
Poker in Pubs and Clubs
We have many enquiries about poker and games of chance in pubs
and clubs. The Gambling Commission
has significantly amended and expanded the answers to many of these
The most popular frequently asked questions on Poker are:
- Can I set up a poker club or poker games in a private members
- Can we play poker in our local pub?
- Can I get a poker licence?
- Can I run a poker night for charity?
- Can I run an online poker site?
New questions added to the site include:
- Can I apply for a premises-based licence restricted to poker
and games of equal chance?
- Can a club be formed solely to provide facilities for gaming
- Am I allowed to award prizes to poker players in a club or pub,
in addition to the maximum prize pools, if the prizes are given for
free and not taken from the players' stakes?
- Can I promote other online gambling operators on my poker
- Can a group of friends play poker in a village hall /
non-commercial premises which does not hold an alcohol
Find out more about poker in pubs and clubs from the Gambling
Asked Questions page.
The Commission has produced leaflets
Poker in pubs: advice on allowing poker in alcohol licensed
poker in clubs (Jan 2011) as part of a campaign to educate the
licensed alcohol trade about the law on equal chance gaming
Get help at:
Worcestershire Regulatory Services
Malvern Hills District Council, The Council House
Avenue Road, Malvern, Worcestershire WR14 3AF DX: 17608
Customer Contact Centre 01527 881395