You are here: Malvern Hills District Council > Licensing > Licences A - G > Amusement with Prizes

Amusement with Prizes

Video games and machines that pay prizes due to customer "skill" rather than gambling do NOT require a permit.

Machines that are for gambling (not skill) DO require a permit as they are amusement with prize machines – sometimes known as "one armed bandits" or "fruit machines."   The requirements and fees are laid down by Government.

The licence holder for premises licensed for the sale of alcohol (pubs) can notify us where they wish to have two or fewer machines.  The cost is £50.

Where more than two machines are wanted in a pub, application for a Licensed Premises Gaming Machine Permit is required; the application cost is £150 (£100 for an existing operator) plus £50 per year.

Different rules exist for Members' Clubs – they have a choice of club gaming permits or club machine permits.
Publicans\clubs who have a current permit or registration don't need to do anything until it expires - even if the newly converted premises licence is in a different name to that on their original Justice's licence. If a business is sold, the buyer will have to apply to us for a new authorisation.

It is a legal requirement that permit holders comply with the new codes of practice detailing such matters as where machines can be used – these are available from the Gambling Commission website.

Learn how to apply for permits.

Worcestershire Regulatory Services (Licensing)
Malvern Hills District Council, The Council House
Avenue Road, Malvern, Worcestershire WR14 3AF  DX: 17608 Malvern

Customer Contact Centre 01527 881395

Email: (please start the subject heading with MHDC enquiry) 



Page Information
This page was last reviewed 5 July 2013 at 12:17 by Cassandra Zoro.
The page is next due for review 1 January 2014.
Email this page
Email to a Friend
Fill in the required details below to email this page to a friend.
You have
Add to Favourites Facebook Twitter
Map of Worcestershire Bromsgrove District Council Malvern District Council Redditch Borough Council Worcester City Council Wychavon District Council Wyre Forest District Council
The county of Worcestershire includes the districts of:

Google Translate
Malvern Hills District Council, Council House, Avenue Road, Malvern, WR14 3AF - Directions to Council Offices.