Needles and syringes are occasionally discarded improperly and this causes concern for everyone.

Needles and syringes may be found by themselves or inside black tubes, or yellow plastic boxes. Sometimes they turn up in a variety of containers such as cardboard boxes or carrier bags etc.

It is important to let us know as soon as possible rather than trying to deal the situation yourself.

If however you decided that there is an urgent need to move the equipment, here are some simple steps for adults to take:

  1. stay calm and assess the situation
  2. be aware of maintaining the safety of others particularly children
  3. find a container with a well secured lid, preferably a large screw top. Rigid plastic containers with lids are best, e.g. plastic milk or soft drink bottles. Don't use glass bottles as they can shatter or drinks cans as these may get crushed.
  4. don't touch the sharp point with your fingers or hands
  5. carefully pick up the needle or syringe by the blunt end away from the point
  6. don't try to put the plastic sheath back on a needle if it has fallen off
  7. put the needle or syringe, point first, into the container. More than one can be placed in the container, but don't overfill
  8. never put used injecting equipment into the rubbish, down the toilet or into the drains.

Reporting found syringes:

Contact Customer Services who will arrange for immediate collection and proper disposal.

Page Information
This page was last reviewed 22 September 2009 at 16:12 by Ben Brown.
The page is next due for review 21 March 2010.
Email this page
Email to a Friend
Fill in the required details below to email this page to a friend.
You have
Add to Favourites Facebook Twitter
Map of Worcestershire Bromsgrove District Council Malvern District Council Redditch Borough Council Worcester City Council Wychavon District Council Wyre Forest District Council
The county of Worcestershire includes the districts of:

Google Translate
Malvern Hills District Council, Council House, Avenue Road, Malvern, WR14 3AF - Directions to Council Offices.