House-to-house Collections Permit

Licence summary

A local authority permit is needed if you want to carry out house-to-house collections for charitable purposes in England and Wales.

"Charitable purpose" means any charitable, benevolent or philanthropic purpose, whether or not the purpose is charitable within the meaning of any rule of law.

"Collection" means an appeal to the public, made by means of visits from house to house, to give, whether for consideration or not, money or other property.

"Collector" means, in relation to a collection, a person who makes the appeal in the course of such visits as aforesaid, and "house" includes a place of business

Eligibility Criteria

Applications must be in the form prescribed by Malvern Hills District Council.

Regulation Summary

A summary of the eligibility criteria for this licence

Application Evaluation Process

We issue permits enabling charities to collect goods or money from door to door. 

We can NOT issue permits where there is commercial profit.

Will Tacit Consent Apply?

No. It is in the public interest that the authority must process your application before you can hold a charitable collection.

If you have not heard from the local authority within a reasonable period, please contact it.

You can do this online if you applied through the UK Welcomes service or use the contact details below..

Apply online

Application can be made online, through the national "business link" portal.
1. Apply through Business Link to run a charitable collection
2. Notify us via Business Link of the result of a charitable collection (financial return)

Apply by Post

Telephone or e-mail us to ask for an application form, or download an Application for a House to House/Street Collections Permit and a Collection Statement
Send the completed forms to us at the Licensing Department, Malvern Hills District Council, The Council Offices, Avenue Road, Malvern, Worcestershire, WR14 3AF.

Or contact our Customer Service Centre on 01684 862151 to arrange appropriate dates and locations for the collections to commence

Failed Application Redress

Please contact Malvern Hills District Council in the first instance.
You have the right to appeal to the Minister for the Cabinet Office.
Appeals must be lodged within 14 days of the refusal.

Consumer Complaint

We would always advise that in the event of a complaint the first contact is made with the trader by you - preferably in the form a letter (with proof of delivery).

If that has not worked, if you are located in the UK, Citizens Advice will give you advice.

From outside the UK contact the UK European Consumer Centre.

Trade Associations


In partnership with EUGO logo