Industrial Pollution - Environmental Permitting

Licence summary

You must have an environmental permit if you operate a regulated facility in England or Wales.

A regulated facility includes:

  • Installations or mobile plants carrying out listed activities
  • Waste operations
  • Waste mobile plant
  • Mining waste operations

Listed activities include:

  • Energy - burning fuel, gasification, and refining activities
  • Metals - manufacturing and processing metals
  • Minerals - manufacturing a lime, cement, ceramics or glass
  • Chemicals - manufacturing chemicals, pharmaceuticals or explosives, storing chemicals in bulk
  • Waste - incinerating waste, operating landfills, recovering waste
  • Solvents - using solvents
  • Other - manufacturing paper, pulp and board, treating timber products, coating, treating textiles and printing, manufacturing new tyres, intensive pig and poultry farming

Listed activities are divided into three categories: Part A(1), Part A(2) and Part B.

Part A permits control activities with a range of environmental impacts, including:

  • Emissions to air, land and water
  • Energy efficiency
  • Waste reduction
  • Raw materials consumption
  • Noise, vibration and heat
  • Accident prevention

Part B permits control activities which cause emissions to air.

The permit your business requires depends on the specific processes involved and resulting emissions.

Permits are available from the Environment Agency or your local authority (the regulator) depending upon the category your business falls within:

  • Part A(1) installations or mobile plants are regulated by the Environment Agency
  • Part A(2) and Part B installations or mobile plants are regulated by the local authority, except waste operations carried out at Part B installations which are regulated by the Environment Agency
  • waste operations or waste mobile plant carried on other than at an installation, or by Part A or Part B mobile plants, are regulated by the Environment Agency
  • mining waste operations are regulated by the Environment Agency

A2 and Part B permitted premises have to operate to national standards, these standards are set out in Process Guidance Notes and can be found together with other guidance on the DEFRA website.

Eligibility Criteria

Applications must be made on the form provided by the regulator, or online and must include specified information which will vary depending on the operation.

A fee may is payable.

If further information is required the applicant will be notified by the regulator and they must provide this information or the application will be deemed to be withdrawn.

The application must be from the operator of the regulated facility.

For waste operations no licence will be granted unless any required planning permission had first been granted.

Current applications and register of permits

Current applications: (none)

Files for all these premises are held on public registers, which can be viewed by contacting the Councils Environment Team on 01684 862313/862442 and asking for a Mr Robinson or Mr Ferguson.

Regulation Summary

A summary of the regulation relating to this licence

The definitions of the activities that are controlled are set out in Schedule 1 of the Environmental Permitting (England and Wales) Regulations 2007.

Application Evaluation Process

The regulator will pay regard to the protection of the environment taken as a whole by, in particular, preventing or, where that is not practicable, reducing emissions into the air, water and land.

The regulator may inform the public of the application and must consider any representations.

The application must be from the operator of the regulated facility, and the regulator must be satisfied that they must operate the facility in accordance with the environmental permit.

Will Tacit Consent Apply?

It is in the public interest that the authority must process your application before it can be granted because of the risk of environmental damage. If you have not heard from the local authority within a reasonable period, please contact it.

You can do this online if you applied through the UK Welcomes service or use the contact details below.

Apply online

Online facilities available through the national Business Link portal:

Apply online for an A2 Environmental Permit

Apply online for a Part B Environmental Permit

Apply online to vary an existing permit

Make annual subsistence payment

Apply in writing

Telephone the Environment team for advice, details of current fee and to ask for an application form, or download an application form.

Send the completed form with application fee  to us at the Commercial and Environmental Services, Malvern Hills District Council, The Council Offices, Avenue Road, Malvern, Worcestershire, WR14 3AF

Failed Application Redress

Please contact us in the first instance.

An applicant who is refused an environmental permit may appeal to the appropriate authority. In England the appropriate authority is the Secretary of State and in Wales are the Welsh Ministers. Appeals must be lodged no later than six months from the date of the decision.

Licence Holder Redress

Please contact us in the first instance.

If an application to vary, transfer or surrender an environmental permit has been refused or if the applicant objects to conditions imposed on the environmental permit they may appeal to the appropriate authority.

Appeals must be lodged in relation to a regulator initiated variation, a suspension notice or an enforcement notice, not later than two months from the date of the variation or notice and in any other case not later than six months from the date of the decision.

Consumer Complaint

We would always advise that in the event of a complaint the first contact is made with the trader by you - preferably in the form a letter (with proof of delivery). If that has not worked, if you are located in the UK, Consumer Direct will give you advice.

From outside the UK contact the UK European Consumer Centre.

Other Redress

Compensation maybe payable in relation to conditions affecting certain interests in land.

Trade Associations

Solvent Emissions Directive

The Solvent Emissions (England and Wales) Regulations 2004 implement the requirements of the Solvent Emissions Directive and form part of the requirements under the EP Regulations.

Installations that use volatile organic compounds (VOC's) have to produce a  management plan the aim of which is to reduce their use of VOC's to the limits set out in the Regulations.

They also have to consider substituting certain VOC's with other less harmful compounds.

Petrol Vapour Recovery

Currently petrol filling stations selling more than 500,000 litres of petrol per annum, have to have systems that recover the petrol vapours emitted from their underground tanks, during petrol deliveries.

From 1 January 2010 the petrol filling stations that sell more that (3500m3) 3.5 million litres of petrol per year, will have to install systems that will recover the petrol vapours emitted to air during the filling of the tanks on individual cars.

Guidance for Businesses from NetRegs

NetRegs is the primary trusted source of guidance on environmental legislation for businesses in the UK. 

It provides free, clear guidance for different business types on how to comply with environmental legislation.

You can:

  • Receive regular updates on environmental legislation by signing up for free email alerts
  • Use the online questionnaire to assess your environmental compliance
  • Find your nearest authorised waste contractor or recycling facility by using the online Waste Directory

NetRegs is a partnership between the Environment Agency in England and Wales, the Scottish Environment Protection Agency and the Environment and Heritage Service in Northern Ireland.

Get help at: 
Worcestershire Regulatory Services, Malvern Hills District Council, The Council House, Avenue Road, Malvern, Worcestershire WR14 3AF 

Customer Contact Centre 01684 862151