Licensing and Entertainment

The Licensing Act 2003 transferred responsibility for issuing licences for the sale of intoxicating liquor to local authorities.

As a result of this change, the Council is now responsible for issuing licences for the following activities:

  • Retail sale or supply of alcohol
  • Provision of regulated entertainment
  • Provision of hot food or drink after 11 p.m. and before 5 a.m.

Types of Licence

Establishments need a Premises Licence to carry out the above activities and if that permits the sale of alcohol, then whoever sells the alcohol needs a Personal Licence as well.

The Premises Licence is a single licence that permits any or all of the licensable activities.

There are also Club Premises Certificates for qualifying clubs, and a system of Temporary Event Notices for ad-hoc events.