Housing Enforcement, Property Standards and Disrepair
The Private Sector Housing team works closely with owners, leaseholders, landlords and tenants to improve housing conditions for people within Malvern. The Housing Act 2004 introduced new enforcement options, a National Licensing scheme for Houses in Multiple Occupation and have changed the methods of assessment of property standards to the Housing Health and Safety Rating System.
How to make a complaint
In the first instance tenants need to let their landlord know about the problem, in order to give him/her the chance to put it right. You should also take a note of the date and details of the complaint. If you do not receive a satisfactory response please contact the Private Sector Housing Team on 01386 565341 or email email@example.com.
If you are a tenant from a Social Landlord you must in the first instance contact your housing officer or the repairs team to report the problem and work with your housing association before contacting the private sector housing team.
If appropriate, the Property Standards Officer will visit your property after notifying your landlord of your complaint. During this visit the property will be inspected and assessed using the Housing Health and Safety Rating System (HHSRS) (guide).
The risk assessments are based on the likelihood of an occurrence causing harm and the probable severity of the outcomes of the occurrence. It relies on the informed professional judgements of both of these to provide a simple means of representing the severity of any dangers present in a dwelling.
The hazards are rated and the severity is categorised as a Category 1 Hazard which is the most severe and the council has a duty to get remedied. A Category 2 Hazard is less severe and the council has a power to remedy. This will determine the next step for the complaint.
- A Hazard Awareness Notice
- Improvement Notice
- Prohibition Notice
- Emergency Remedial Action
- Demolition Order
- Designate a Clearance Area
- Gas safety
- Fire safety
- Damp and condensation
Landlord and tenant advice
- Citizens Advice Bureau
- Worcestershire Regulatory Services – for advice and complaints regarding odour, noise, bonfires and rodents
- Client Services – for advice and complaints regarding refuse collections, bulky waste collections and wheelie bins please contact Client Services on 01386 565018
- Planning Department and Building Control - Complaints regarding planning issues and building regulations please contact Planning via the hub 01684 862151, Building Control on 01684 862223
- Homestamp - a range of useful information concerning private renting, from advice and guidance for tenants to technical guides for landlords
Landlord Accreditation Scheme
- Unlimited free downloads of tenancy agreements and a wide range of other essential forms and documents
- Receive a fortnightly e-newsletter
- Invitations to landlords meetings and more