Street Collection Permits

Licence summary

To collect money or sell articles for the benefit of charitable or other purposes in England or Wales, a street collection permit must first be obtained from the local council for the area concerned.
A "street collection" is a donation of money or goods collected in a public place, benefiting a charitable or philanthropic cause.
We are currently unable to control "direct debit" collectors as there is no physical transfer of goods.

This will change, in the new scheme.  Meanwhile we work with the organisers to try to reduce conflict with other organised collections.
There is no statutory right of appeal against refusal by a council to grant an application.

Eligibility Criteria

No provision in the legislation

Regulation Summary

Read the law controlling street collections

Application Evaluation Process

Our aim is to ensure that charitable collections are lawful, and that monies raised are likely to reach the stated destination.

The process can include checks into the suitability of the organiser, and checking financial accounts. 

There is no application fee.

Will Tacit Consent Apply?

No. It is in the public interest that the authority must process your application before it can be granted.

If you have not heard from the local authority within ten working days, please contact us.

You can do this online if you applied through the UK Welcomes service or use the contact details below.

Apply online

Apply online through the national Business Link portal:
1. Apply through the Business Link portal to run a charitable collection in Malvern Hills
2. Notify us through the Business Link portal of the result of a charitable collection (financial return)

Apply by post

Telephone or e-mail us to ask for an application form, or download an Application for a House to House/Street Collections Permit and a Collection Statement. 
Send the completed forms  to us at the Licensing Department, Malvern Hills District Council, The Council Offices, Avenue Road, Malvern, Worcestershire, WR14 3AF or contact our Customer Service Centre on 01684 862151 to arrange appropriate dates and locations for the collections to commence.

Failed Application Redress

Please contact us, in the first instance.

Licence Holder Redress

Please contact us, in the first instance.

Consumer Complaint

We would always advise that in the event of a complaint the first contact is made with the trader by you - preferably in the form a letter (with proof of delivery).

If that has not worked, if you are located in the UK, Citizens Advice will give you advice.

From outside the UK contact the UK European Consumer Centre.

Trade Associations


In partnership with EUGO logo