Advice for Landlords

How Do I Gain Entry to My Property?

As a landlord you are allowed to gain entry to your property if required but you are required to give reasonable notice to your tenant.

The Shelter website outlines what they consider to be harassment by a landlord or letting agent.

Please visit the Shelter website for more information.

What Notice Do I Serve?

To find this out check the tenancy agreement you have signed with your tenant. Once you have found this out you will then be able to determine the correct notice to serve.

Serving the correct notice is important because if your tenant refuses to leave the property you must then go to court to enforce the notice; if your original notice is incorrect you will have to start the process all over again.

See the Shelter and Direct Gov website for further information or alternatively contact Malvern Hills and Wychavon District Council Housing Services for advice.

My Tenant Won't Leave

If correct notice has been served but your tenant is unwilling to leave the property at the end of the tenancy, you must obtain a Possession Order from the County Court in order to legally evict them.

It is extremely important that you, as the landlord, follow the correct legal procedure before evicting a tenant, as failure to do so may result in legal action taken against you by Malvern Hills District Council for harassment and illegal eviction.

If you are unsure what procedure to follow please see the Direct Gov website.

Can I Evict My Tenant Myself?

No, the only person who can legally evict a tenant is a Court Appointed Bailiff. The bailiff will execute the Possession Order which has been issued to you by the County Court.

If you are unsure what the procedure is for eviction check the Direct Gov website for advice on evicting tenants, or contact the Housing Department.

Housing Benefit

Housing Benefit is designed to help people on benefits or on a low income with their rental payments.

If accepting a tenant in receipt of housing benefit you may need to consider if the rent is set in accordance with the Local Housing Allowance Rates.

Advice, Benefits and Council Tax pages  

Published tips for landlords.