Tenants advice

Here you'll find useful information and advice for tenants.

There is a term in a tenancy agreements, under the Rent Act 1977 and the Housing Act 1988, that the tenant will let the landlord have access to the property and all reasonable facilities to carry out repairs which the landlord is entitled to do.

The landlord or agent is entitled to carry out periodic tenancy inspections.

The landlord or agent authorised by the tenant, at reasonable times of the day, can enter the property to inspect its condition and state of repair. They must give the tenant at least 24 hours notice in writing before they carry out such an inspection.

If you are currently going through a relationship breakdown then it is important that you understand your housing rights.

  • If your name is on the tenancy agreement then you will have rights to remain at the property.
  • If your name is not on the tenancy agreement then you should also receive housing advice.

    Please do not leave the accommodation without receiving advice about your rights to the property.

  • If you have moved into a rented property and you are finding that your rent is hard to manage, then you can check to see if you are entitled to any housing benefit to cover your rent.

    You can check whether you should be entitled to this by using the Housing Benefit calculator, or by contacting Malvern Hills Customer Service Centre to discuss applying for housing benefit. You may also wish to check that you are receiving all the benefits that you are entitled to.

    You can find this out by visiting the Direct Gov website. For advice on debt can be found by contacting the National Debt Line or Citizen Advice Bureau.

    The Housing Advice Team are also able to help with housing advice and preventing you from losing your tenancy.

    If you have pests at your property you should inform your landlord. Your landlord does not have a responsibility to pay for pest control services but will need to be made aware of the problem.

    For further information please visit the Environmental Health council webpage.

    If you feel you are being harassed by your landlord then please read this leaflet on Harassment & Illegal Eviction or, alternatively, please contact the Housing Advice Team.

    If you would like more information on HMO's then please visit the Houses in Multiple Occupationpage.