Animal Boarding (Cats and Dogs) Establishment

Licence summary

Any person offering facilities for looking after cats or dogs away from their owners' home - requires a licence. 

We charge licence fees in proportion to the potential number of animals to be boarded. 

The number of dogs and cats that may be accommodated will be detailed on the licence, along with other specific conditions.

Licences have to be renewed every year, on the 1st January. 

Please phone us to find out if there is a licensed boarder in your area or to make an application.

We apply conditions to all licences, based on national standards (The Chartered Institute of Environmental Health).

The conditions help to protect the welfare of animals by ensuring that any new establishments are built to a high standard, and that all businesses are well maintained and managed.

We make regular visits to all animal boarders in the district, and we arrange veterinary inspection of all potential new premises at additional cost for the applicant. 

We may also require a veterinary inspection where obvious animal health or welfare problems are found to exist, or complaints about animal health are received.

Grant of a licence does not mean that we have given planning permission: consent under town and County planning law may still be required. 

Eligibility Criteria

An applicant must not be disqualified from any of the following at the time of the application:

  • Keeping an animal boarding establishment
  • Keeping a pet shop under the Pet Animals Act 1951
  • Keeping animals under the Protection of Animals (Amendment) Act 1954
  • Owning, keeping, being involved in the keeping or being entitled to control or influence the keeping of animals, dealing in animals or transporting or being involved in the transportation of animals under the Animals Welfare Act 2006
  • Owning, keeping, dealing in or transporting animals under the Animal Health and Welfare (Scotland) Act 2006.

Regulation Summary

 A summary of the eligibility criteria for this licence

Application Evaluation Process

Fees will be payable for applications, and conditions may be attached.

The following criteria will be considered when the application is being evaluated:

  • That the animals will be kept in suitable accommodation at all times. Suitable accommodation takes into account the construction and size of the accommodation, the number of animals to be housed in it, facilities for exercising the animals, cleanliness and temperature, lighting and ventilation provisions.
  • That suitable food, drink and bedding materials will be provided and that the animals are exercised and visited regularly.
  • That steps are taken to prevent and control the spread of disease among the animals and that isolation facilities are in place.
  • That adequate protection is provided to the animals in the case of fire and other emergencies.
  • That a register is kept. The register should contain a description of all animals received, their arrival and departure date and the name and address of the owner. The register should be available to be inspected at any time by a local authority officer, veterinary surgeon or practitioner.

Will Tacit Consent Apply?

No. You must not keep an animal boarding establishment until a licence has been granted. 

Apply online

Apply by Post

Telephone or e-mail us to ask for an application form, or download an application form.

Send the completed form with application fee and proof of insurance to us at the Licensing, Malvern Hills District Council, The Council Offices, Avenue Road, Malvern, Worcestershire, WR14 3AF

Failed Application Redress

Applicants can appeal to the Magistrates' Court if we refuse to grant an application, or where we apply unreasonable conditions.

Licence Holder Redress

Please contact us in the first instance Any licence holder who wishes to appeal against a condition attached to their licence can appeal to the Magistrates' Court.

Consumer Complaint

We would always advise that in the event of a complaint the first contact is made with the trader by you - preferably in the form a letter (with proof of delivery).

If that has not worked, if you are located in the UK, Citizens Advice will give you advice.

From outside the UK contact the UK European Consumer Centre.

Other Redress

Anyone suffering nuisance due to noise, smells or similar because of a commercial premises should contact

Trade Associations

Pet Care Trust (PCT)