Apply For Universal Credit


How do I apply and what will I need to make a claim?

Claims can only be made online through the official Universal Credit website here.  If you and your partner live together then you will need to apply as a couple.
To apply you will need:

  • An active email address
  • A mobile phone number
  • Details of your bank account, building society or credit union account
  • Your rent or mortgage costs
  • Your wage details
  • Details of any savings or investments
  • Your National Insurance Number
  • Details of any children and/or your partner
  • Details of how much you pay for childcare (if applying for help with childcare costs)

You also have to verify your identity online. To do this you will need ID such as:

  • Driving licence
  • Passport
  • Debit or credit card


What if I do not have access to the internet?

If you do not have access to the internet then computers are available for you free to use at the following locations: INSERT DETAILS or LINK TO PDF


Help making your claim

Universal Credit is administered by the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP)  not Malvern Hills District Council.
Regrettably our staff are unable to help you with your claim for Universal Credit [IS THIS STILL TRUE?]. If you need help making your claim then please contact the Universal Credit Helpline free on 0800 328 9344 between 8am and 6pm Monday to Friday (excluding Bank Holidays).
If you already have an online account and journal you should call the Universal Credit full service helpline on 0800 328 5644.


Advice for the self-employed

While Universal Credit works in principle in the same way for people who are self-employed, there are some differences in how the amount you receive is calculated. The Money Advice Service has more information here.