We constantly monitor benefit claims, looking for any suspicious circumstances or information, but no matter how much effort we put into this, we cannot do it alone - we need your help.

If you suspect someone is committing Housing Benefit Fraud you can report this in three ways:

  • By Telephone: Contact the National Benefit Fraud Hotline on 0800 854 440.
    Your call is free and confidential. You do not have to give your name or address. Lines are open Monday to Friday 8.00am to 6.00pm. If you have speech or hearing problems you can use a text phone service on 0800 328 0512 or Welsh speakers can call on 0800 678 3722.
  • Online: Benefit Fraud Website
  • By Post: NBFH, PO Box 224, Preston, PR1 1GP

If you suspect someone is committing Council Tax Support Fraud you can contact us:

  • By telephone: 01386 565280 - you do not have to give your name or address when you call. The information you provide would be treated in the strictest confidence. 
  • By Post: Council Tax Support Investigations Team, South Worcestershire Revenues and Benefits Shared Services, PO Box 11, Pershore, Worcs, WR10 1PU.
  • Email: the investigations team:

Types of Housing Benefit/Council Tax Support Fraud

  • Receiving benefit on the basis of being in receipt of Job Seekers Allowance/Income Support and you are in fact working
  • Failure to declare all income, savings/capital or the ownership of another property/land elsewhere, knowing the non-declaration will increase the amount of benefit you are awarded
  • Not declaring the presence of a partner who is working, knowing this would affect your entitlement amount
  • Failure to declare the presence of other adults in the property in order to preserve or increase entitlement to benefit
  • If you own a property and are falsely claiming that you pay rent for the property, inventing a landlord, providing false rent books and tenancy agreements
  • Failure to declare that you have moved, however you continue to accept payments of Housing Benefit for the new address
  • Claiming benefits for an address that you do not live at
  • If you are a landlord who continues to receive Housing Benefit on behalf of a tenant that you are aware no longer lives at the premises. This might be where the landlord has access to more than one property, there is the potential to move tenants around without informing the Local Authority.