Brownfield Land Register
The Town and Country Planning (Brownfield Land Register) Regulations 2017, which came into force on 16 April 2017, require Local Planning Authorities to prepare, maintain and publish registers of previously developed (brownfield) land. Brownfield land registers are intended to provide up-to-date and consistent information on sites that local authorities consider to be appropriate for residential development.
The Register can consist of two parts:
- part 1 is a list of all sites considered to be appropriate for residential development
- part 2 is made up of sites which have been taken forward from Part 1 of the Register and given Planning Permission in Principle (PIP)
The Council is required to publish Part 1 of its Register by 31 December 2017.
In order for sites to be included in Part 1 of the Register, i.e. appropriate for residential development, they must meet the following criteria:
- the site must be classified as Previously Developed Land, as defined by the glossary to the National Planning Policy Framework (NPPF)
- the site should be at least 0.25 hectares in size or capable of supporting at least 5 dwellings
- the land is suitable for residential development;
- the land is available for residential development
- residential development of the land is achievable within 15 years
Detailed guidance on brownfield land registers was published on 28 July 2017 through National Planning Practice Guidance (NPPG). The format of the brownfield land register is set out in the Brownfield Land Registers Data Standard published by the Department for Communities and Local Government (DCLG).
Malvern Hills District Brownfield Land Register (Excel Spreadsheet)
Sites that have been included on Malvern Hills District Council’s Brownfield land Register can be viewed or downloaded in PDF format:
Under legislative instruction the register will be reviewed annually. In the meantime if you wish to see a site included onto the Brownfield Land Register or have any other queries please contact: email@example.com