Busking Licence

Licence summary

We value the vibrancy and diversity associated with professional street performers, and suggest that "would be" performers contact our Town Centre Managers for advice on location and timing.

We do not have local byelaws to control "Busking".

Therefore busking in itself is not illegal in Malvern Hills. Children under 14 years may not busk. 

Buskers may not "beg".

Buskers may not SELL articles (e.g. cd's of their work) as that constitutes "street trading" for which street trading consent is required.

In addition, buskers may not cause nuisance (noise nuisance) and there are provisions to deal with noise from amplification equipment/ speakers used on the street.

Where the busker is performing for the purpose or purposes that include entertaining an audience (which a busker probably is doing), AND on land provided for the purpose or purposes that include allowing that entertainment (i.e. with the land owners' permission), then it is likely that authorisation for the regulated entertainment is needed - under the Licensing Act 2003. 

Normally this would be by way of a "Temporary Event Notice," which must be given at least ten working days before the entertainment takes place. 

More information and access to the forms can be found here.

Eligibility Criteria

No provision in the legislation

Regulation Summary

A summary of the eligibility criteria for this licence

Application Evaluation Process

No provision in the legislation

Will Tacit Consent Apply?

No - because we don't control busking there is no need to apply for a licence first.

Note you must NOT sell CD's in the street or beg.

Apply online

Not Applicable - no application needed

Failed Application Redress

Not Applicable - no application needed

Licence Holder Redress

Not Applicable - no application needed

Consumer Complaint

We would always advise that in the event of a complaint the first contact is made with the trader by you - preferably in the form a letter (with proof of delivery).

If that has not worked, if you are located in the UK, Consumer Direct will give you advice.

From outside the UK contact the UK European Consumer Centre.
Anyone suffering nuisance due to noise, smells or similar because of a commercial premises should contact Worcester Regulatory Services team

Please note that begging is a matter for the Police

Trade Associations

Musician's Union Midlands Region