Important: Because of the high infection rate, there has been a large rise in self-isolation support payment applications. We are processing these as fast as we can. If you have not heard from us after three weeks of submitting your application then please get in touch. If you see the confirmation screen once you have submitted your application then it has been received successfully. You do not need to resubmit another form.

The self-isolation support payment scheme in England has now closed. If you were told to self-isolate before 24 February you can still make a claim within 42 days of the first day of self-isolation and no later than 6 April. 

The Government has introduced a £500 support payment to help people on low incomes who have to self-isolate. We are responsible for making the payments. Please read all of the information on this page before applying.

Do I qualify for this scheme?

To qualify for the payment, you will need to meet all of the criteria below:

  • you have been asked to self-isolate by NHS Test and Trace on or after 28 September, 2020

  • you’re the parent or guardian of a child who has been told to self-isolate and you need to take time off to look after them (scroll down this page for more information)

  • you are employed or self-employed

  • you cannot work from home and will lose a substantial amount of money as a result

  • you are claiming at least one of the following benefits: Universal Credit, Working Tax Credits, income-related Employment and Support Allowance, income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance, Income Support, Pension Credit or Housing Benefit

If you’re the parent or guardian of a child who needs to self-isolate

You might be able to get the payment if you need to take time off to look after them. They must:

  • be 15 or under, or 25 or under if they have an Education, Health and Care plan (EHC)
  • live with you
  • normally be at school or in childcare
  • have been told to self-isolate by NHS Test and Trace or their school or childcare provider
  • Only one parent/guardian can claim the payment per household for each isolation period

You’ll need to meet the other qualifying criteria. You’ll need evidence that your child has been told to self-isolate.

Who cannot apply for a payment?

You cannot apply for this scheme if:

  • You do not have a valid notification from NHS Test and Trace

  • You have been told to self-isolate before the 28 September, 2020. This applies even if your period of self-isolation overlaps this date

  • You are self-isolating after returning from abroad (unless you have tested positive for Covid-19 and been told to self-isolate by NHS Test and Trace)

  • You can work from home while self-isolating

  • You are not claiming one of the benefits listed. You may qualify for help from the local discretionary self-isolation support scheme. View more details about the scheme.

What proof do I need to provide?

To prove you are eligible for the scheme, you will need to fill in the online application form on this page and provide the following information:

  • a notification from NHS Test and Trace asking you to self-isolate (this will include a Unique ID number)

  • a bank statement

  • proof of employment, or, if you are self-employed, evidence of self-assessment returns, trading income and proof that your business delivers services which cannot be undertaken without social contact

Local discretionary self-isolation support scheme

If you meet all the other criteria for the self-isolation support payment, but you are not claiming one of the benefits listed and self-isolating will cause you severe financial hardship, then you may still qualify for help from the local discretionary self-isolation support scheme.

If you believe this applies to you, please fill in the application form on this page as normal, but when you get to question 16 about claiming benefits, click ‘none of these’. Carry on and complete and submit the form. We will then assess your circumstances and contact you with our decision.

Can other people I am living with make a claim?

If there are other people living in your household, then they can make their own application to the scheme, as long as they meet the eligibility criteria.

Can I claim on someone else’s behalf?

You can apply on someone else’s behalf, but the £500 must be paid into the bank account in the name of the person you are applying on behalf of. For example, if you are applying on behalf of a parent, the money must be paid into your parent’s bank account.

I have been asked to self-isolate more than once. Can I claim again?

If you are told to self-isolate more than once, you will be able to apply for the payment again, as long as you still meet the eligibility criteria and your periods of self-isolation do not overlap.

Can I claim if I have been furloughed?

You can claim the payment if you have been furloughed, as long as you meet all the other qualifying criteria.

How long do I have to claim?

You can make a claim up to 42 days from your first day of self-isolation.

Will I have to pay tax on my self-isolation support payment?

Yes. If you are a taxpayer then the payment is taxable but is not subject to National Insurance contributions. HMRC will automatically collect tax from your pay through your tax code. If you are self-employed, you should report the payment on your 20/21 self-assessment tax return.


pdf Read the self-isolation support payment privacy notice (107 KB) to find out how we will use your personal data to process your application.

Other financial support

If you are on a low income but do not qualify for a self-isolation support payment, or the local discretionary scheme, then you may be able to apply for Statutory Sick Pay, Universal Credit or another benefit.

Visit GOV.UK for more information

Other help while you are self-isolating

If you need help while you are self-isolating, such as deliveries of food or medicine, Complete Worcestershire Here 2 Help I need help form.