Disability Benefits

There are a number of benefits available that can help with the special needs of disabled customers.

Financial and technical assistance is available to assist in adapting homes to meet the needs of disabled children and adults. For more information see our Disabled Facilities Grants page.

Personal Independence Payment (PIP)

Disability Living Allowance (DLA) has been replaced by Personal Independence Payment (PIP) for people aged 16 to 64 from 10 June 2013 for new claims only at the moment, but this will change in the future.

For claims already in payment, DLA will still apply. The introduction of PIP is part of a wider reform of the welfare system.

The new benefit will better reflect today's understanding of disability, which has changed significantly in the two decades since DLA was introduced.

PIP includes an assessment of individual needs, and aims to make sure financial support is targeted at those who face the greatest challenges to living independently.

Further information is available from the Department for Work and Pensions website.

Attendance Allowance 

Attendance Allowance (AA) is awarded to applicants who are aged 65 or over when they apply, who need supervision and / or help with personal care because of their illness or disability.

Help must have been needed for at least six months, but there is no qualifying period for a person who is terminally ill. There are 2 benefit rates:

  • Higher rate for care / supervision needs both day and night
  • Lower rate for care / supervision needs during the day or night

Further information is available from the Department for Work and Pensions website.

Carer's Allowance

Carer's Allowance is for people aged 16 and over who spend at least 35 hours a week caring for a severely disabled person getting Attendance Allowance (either rate), Disability Living Allowance care component at the middle or upper rate, or Personal Independence Payment at either rate of the daily living component.

The carer must not be in full time education or (if working) earning more than a certain amount per week after deducting allowable expenses. Further information is available from the Directgov website.

Council Tax Reductions

If you, or someone who lives with you, need a room, an extra bathroom or kitchen, or extra space in your property because you use a wheelchair indoors, you may be entitled to a reduced council tax bill.

For more information see Council Tax page.

If your home has any special fixtures which have been added for a disabled resident, which reduce the home's value and you do not think they have been taken into account in the valuation band to which your home has been assigned, you should contact the Listing Officer (see Appeals).

Concessionary Fares

You may also be entitled to travel concessions.

Further Information