Registration for Flood Support Funding

If your property or business was flooded as a result of Storm Dennis then there is money available to support you.

Depending on the amount of flooding and damage caused you may qualify for:

  • 100% Council Tax discount for at least three months
  • 100% Business Rates Relief for at least three months
  • £500 financial hardship payment
  • £2,500 for small to medium sized businesses which have suffered severe uninsurable losses
  • Up to £5,000 to help make your property more resilient to future flooding

Qualifying criteria for residential properties

The property you are applying for must be your main home. Second or empty homes are not included in this scheme.

Flood water must have entered the inside living space of your property (Porches, greenhouses, garages, sheds, outhouses etc. will not be considered for any resilient grant scheme).


Your property must be unliveable because:

  • Access to the property is severely restricted (e.g. upper floor flats with no access)
  • Key services such as sewerage, draining and electricity are severely affected
  • Flooding has caused significant damage to the property meaning it would be or would have been advisable for you to leave the premises for any period of time, regardless of whether or not you actually did

 If you have read the qualifying criteria and still believe you qualify for support, then please register your details using our online form. We will then assess your claim as soon as possible and contact you.

Register for Flood Support Funding

Qualifying criteria for businesses

Flooding must have had a direct impact on your business e.g. the building, equipment and/or stock have been damaged


Flooding has indirectly impacted on your business such as restricted or no access to your premises, equipment and/or stock, restricted access for customers, suppliers and/or staff and you have directly suffered a loss of trade as a result.

You must have suffered severe uninsurable losses. Funding cannot be given for routine business expenses or costs you can recover by other means.

Register for Business Flood Support Funding


Flood Re is a joint initiative between the Government and insurers. Its aim is to make the flood cover part of household insurance policies more affordable. You can read about How Flood Re works (pdf). It is important that people at high flood-risk shop around for the best insurance policy. For more information visit the Flood Re website.

Advice from the Association of British Insurers (ABI) about flooding resilience and on working through the insurance system after a flood:

Clean up

Public Health England offers the following general safety advice on how to clean up after a flood.

  • Make sure there is good ventilation if you are using portable indoor heating appliances to dry out indoor spaces
  • Do not use petrol or diesel generators indoors: the exhaust gases contain carbon monoxide which can kill
  • If you come into contact with flood water then wash your hands regularly.
  • Do not let children play in flood water

More information on how to clean up safely after a flood is available on the Government's website.

If your home or property has been flooded it could be contaminated by oil, silt and sewage. This will need to be carefully and completely cleaned up to remove any health risk.

Contact your GP immediately if you think your health has been affected.

The Environment Agency has information about cleaning your house as well as details of organisations that can help you do this. National Health England also has a useful leaflet on how to clean up after a flood (PDF).

If you are worried about the security of your property call West Mercia Police.

Reusing and disposing of sandbags

Dry out sandbags and store them in a shed, garage or under cover so you can use them again. If you cannot store them, open them up and spread the sand on your garden if you have one. You can then treat the sacks as normal waste. If the sand or bags are contaminated, please dispose of them responsibly.

Emotional support

Having a flooded home is very stressful. If you need emotional support, contact family and friends, your doctor or an organisation like the Red Cross or the Samaritans.

Public Health England also offers a guide to mental wellbeing after a flood.

Further advice

The National Flood Forum is a charity that offers advice and support to people affected by flooding. You can call them on 01299 403 055.