FAQs Electoral Registration

The way you register to vote has changed. The Electoral Registration system changed on 10 June 2014.

The new registration system is called Individual Electoral Registration (IER). You can now register to vote online.


You can now register to vote online.

Everyone is responsible for registering themselves.

Under the new system unregistered people who want to register to vote can register to vote online or complete an Individual Registration Form.

Under the old system the head of every household could register everyone who lived at the address by completing the annual canvass form which is sent, by local authorities, every year.

A member of the household can complete a Household Enquiry Form to advise us of the individuals who are residing at the property. We will, then, send an Individual Registration Form to each of the individuals listed.

It is, therefore, quicker and easier for each member of the household to register themselves online. You will need to provide a few more details to register, including your national insurance number and date of birth.

If you are unsure of your national insurance number this can be found on your national insurance card or in official paperwork such as payslips or letters about benefits or tax credits.
This country is a democracy. Every day, vital decisions affecting all our lives are taken by members of parliament and local councillors elected by the people.

You can help choose them by voting.

If you don't register, you won't be able to vote, and you will lose your chance to influence the way things are run in your town or village, in the Malvern Hills district, in the county, and in the whole country.
The Electoral Administration Act 2006 introduced the ability to register anonymously.

Anyone who believes their safety would be at risk if their name appeared on the electoral register can apply to be registered anonymously, although evidence would have to be provided for this.

In order to register anonymously, you will need either: • evidence of a court order that is currently in force to protect you, or • attestation from a qualified person in support of your application. People qualified to support applications:

Police officers of the rank of superintendent or above (from any police force across the UK).

Director General of the Security Services or the Serious Organised Crime Agency.

A Director of Adult Social Services or Children's Services in England, a Director of Social Services in Wales, a Chief Social Work Officer in Scotland, a Director of Social Services or an Executive Director of Social Work in Northern Ireland.

Contact the Electoral Services Office for an Anonymous Registration Form to be sent to you.

If you are registered anonymously, instead of your name and address appearing on the electoral register a code will be added to the end of the section of the register for your polling district.

Instead of including you on the annual canvass form, the Electoral Registration Officer will contact you separately and in such a way as to not reveal that you are registered anonymously.

You will receive an enveloped poll card and you must take this with you to be able to vote.

Anyone who is registered anonymously may not sign a candidate's nomination papers.

Anonymous registrations must be renewed every year; we will send you a renewal form shortly before your renewal is due.
The Electoral Register can be viewed by appointment with Electoral Services, please contact them by telephone on 01684 862200 or by email: elections@malvernhills.gov.uk.

We do not publish the Electoral Register on the Internet.

There are two versions of the Electoral Register; to read more about this, please see Why are there two versions of the Register? The open register can be viewed for any purpose; the full register can only be viewed for electoral purposes, e.g. to check your own registration details to see if they are correct.
Using information received from the public, registration officers keep two registers - the electoral register and the open register (also known as the edited register).

The electoral register lists the names and addresses of everyone who is registered to vote in public elections.

The register is used for electoral purposes - such as making sure only eligible people can vote - and for other limited purposes specified in law. The personal data in the register must always be processed in line with data-protection legislation.
Election staff, political parties, candidates and holders of elected office use the register for electoral purposes.

Your local council and the British Library hold copies that anyone may look at under supervision.

A copy is also held by the EC, the Boundary Commissions (which set constituency boundaries for most elections) and the Office for National Statistics.

The council can use the register for duties relating to security, enforcing the law and preventing crime. The police and the security services can also use it for law enforcement.

The register is used when calling people for jury service. Government departments may buy the register from local registration officers and use it to help prevent and detect crime.

They can also use it to safeguard national security by checking the background of job applicants and employees. Credit reference agencies can buy the register.

They help other organisations to check the names and addresses of people applying for credit. They also use it to carry out identity checks when trying to prevent and detect money laundering.

It is a criminal offence for anyone to supply or use the register for anything else. The open register is an extract of the electoral register, but is not used for elections. It can be bought by any person, company or organisation.

For example, it is used by businesses and charities to confirm name and address details.

The personal data in the register must always be processed in line with data protection legislation.

Your name and address will be included in the open register unless you ask for them to be removed.

Removing your details from the open register would not affect your right to vote.
Users of the open register include:

• Businesses checking the identity and address details of people who apply for their services such as insurance, goods hire and property rental, as well as when they shop online;

• Businesses selling age-restricted goods or services, such as alcohol and gambling online, to meet the rules on verifying the age of their customers;

• Charities and voluntary agencies, for example to help maintain contact information for those who have chosen to donate bone marrow and to help people separated by adoption to find each other;

• Charities, to help with fundraising and contacting people who have made donations;

• Debt collection agencies when tracing people who have changed address without telling their creditors;

• Direct marketing firms when maintaining their mailing lists;

• Landlords and letting agents when checking the identity of potential tenants;

• Local councils when identifying and contacting residents;

• Online directory firms to help users of the websites find people, such as when reuniting friends and families;

• Organisations tracing and identifying beneficiaries of wills, pensions and insurance policies;

• Private sector firms to verify details of job applicants.

All of our registration forms give the option to opt out of the open register. If you wish to opt out, simply tick the box when filling in the form.
To change your name on the Electoral Register please contact Electoral Services for a Change of Name Form.

You will also need send proof of your change of name by sending us either a marriage or civil partnership certificate; an overseas marriage or civil partnership certificate; an amended birth certificate or a deed poll.

Please post the signed and completed form to Electoral Services.