Help with Council Tax

If you are liable to pay council tax or pay rent you may apply for benefit. Your benefit will be calculated based on the following:

  • Your capital, including any savings (if you and/or your partner have over £16,000 you will not qualify).
  • Your income.
  • The amount of council tax or rent you pay.
  • Your family circumstances.

Even if your income is high if you share a house with other adults (except for a partner) who have low incomes you may be able to claim council tax second adult rebate.

Many people lose benefit because they delay making a claim. Benefit can not normally be backdated, so don't delay - complete an application form as soon as possible.

If you would like an application form or further information please contact us straight away.

Payment Problems

If you have problems paying your council tax please contact us straight away and we will be able to give you help and advice on whether it is possible to get your bill reduced.

Costs and charges can add a lot to your original bill so please contact us early to avoid them.

There are a number of things we can look at:

Even if we find that you're not entitled to any discounts, exemptions or benefits we may still be able to help by making a special arrangement with you.

If your bill cannot be reduced we will advise you on what needs to be done.

Independent Help and Advice

You can contact the following not-for-profit organisations for free confidential and impartial advice, or for details of where to get such advice in your area

Citizens AdviceFor advice and information on debt and other topics, visit your local Citizens Advice Bureau.

National DebtlineTelephone 0808 808 4000 for debt advice and information.

StepChange Debt CharityFor debt advice throughout the UK phone 0800 138 1111.

Money Advice ServiceFor free, unbiased and easy-to-access money tools, information and advice, phone 0300 500 5000 to speak to a money adviser.

AdviceUK: Member centres offer debt advice including specialist advice for minority communities and people with disabilities. For further information phone 0300 777 0107.