The Private Sector Housing team works closely with owners, leaseholders, landlords and tenants to improve housing conditions for people within Malvern. The Housing Act 2004 introduced new enforcement options, a National Licensing scheme for Houses in Multiple Occupation and have changed the methods of assessment of property standards to the Housing Health and Safety Rating System.
1. In the first instance, tenants need to let their landlord know about the problem, in order to give him/her the chance to put it right. You should also take note of the date and details of the complaint. If you do not receive a satisfactory response please contact the Private Sector Housing Team on 01386 565631 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you are a tenant from a Social Landlord you must in the first instance contact your housing officer or the repairs team to report the problem and work with your housing association before contacting the private sector housing team.
2. The Property Standards Officer will visit your property, if appropriate, after notifying your landlord of your complaint. During this visit, the property will be inspected and assessed using the Housing Health and Safety Rating System (HHSRS) guide.
The risk assessments are based on the likelihood of an occurrence causing harm and the probable severity of the outcomes of the occurrence. It relies on the informed professional judgements of both of these to provide a simple means of representing the severity of any dangers present in a dwelling.
Where ever possible we try to improve the standards of the property by working with the landlord, owner or leaseholder. However, in some circumstances, it is necessary to take formal action. This includes:
Landlord and tenant advice
- Citizens Advice Bureau
- Worcestershire Regulatory Services – for advice and complaints regarding odour, noise, bonfires and rodents
- Client Services 01386 565018 – for advice and complaints regarding refuse collections, bulky waste collections and wheelie bins
- Homestamp - a range of useful information concerning private renting, from advice and guidance for tenants to technical guides for landlords
- Building Control 01684 862223