Transferring a Premises Licence

To transfer a premises licence, either from you to another person or to you from the existing licence holder, you must apply formally to change the licence.

From 6th April 2017 individuals applying to transfer a premises licences to themselves have to submit documentation with their application to demonstrate they have permission to be in the UK and are entitled to undertake work relating to the carrying on of a licensable activity. Applicants may provide clear photocopies or scanned copies of documents, which can either be in black and white or colour, and do not need to be endorsed as a copy of the original. Applicants should not submit original documents.

A list of acceptable documentation is here:

List of acceptable documents to show entitlement to work

Variations to premises licences

If you hold a premises licence and want to make changes to it, you can apply for a variation of the licence.

If you are only looking to make small changes to the licence, that will not impact on the promotion of the licensing objectives, it may be possible to apply for a minor variation of the premises licence. Minor variations are subject to a simplified application process and a lower application fee.

Further guidance on variation applications can be found on the GOV.UK website

To help make your application process run more smoothly, Worcestershire Regulatory Services now offers a pre-application assistance service. For more information click here.

Apply online

You can apply online for the variation of a premises licence via the GOV.UK website

Apply online

Apply by post

If you are applying by post you will need to send your application to us at:

Licensing, Malvern Hills District Council, The Council House, Avenue Road, Malvern, Worcestershire, WR14 3AF

You can download the application form here:

Application to vary a premises licence

If you are varying the licence to seek authorisation to use the premises for the sale of alcohol, you will need to identify a person who will act as designated premises supervisor (DPS). This person must agree to being nominated as the DPS by completing this form:

DPS Consent Form

A template for the public notice that will need to be displayed at the premises and published in a local newspaper, circular or similar document can be downloaded below.  Please note that the notice displayed at the relevant premises must be printed on light blue paper.

Public Notice template for a full variation

Copies of your application will also need to be sent to all of the responsible authorities, whose contact details can be found here:

Responsible Authorities List


A table of the fees that must be paid for applications under the Licensing Act 2003 can be found on our licensing fees and charges page

You can find out the non-domestic rateable value of the relevant premises by visiting the Valuation Office Agency website

Will tacit consent apply?

Yes. After the 28 day consultation period has expired, if no representations have been received from responsible authorities or other persons, then the licence is granted as applied for. We will issue the licence shortly after.

If there is a representation from a responsible authority other person then this will cause the application to be considered by the Licensing Sub-Committee. A hearing will be arranged within 56 days from the date the application is made.

Apply online

You can apply online for the transfer of a premises licence via the GOV.UK website:

Apply online

Apply by post

You can download an licence transfer application form here:

Application to transfer a premises licence

The existing holder of the premises licence must give their consent to the transfer by completing this form:

Consent to transfer a premises licence

Both of these forms and the existing premises licence must then be sent to the following address, along with the £23.00 fee (cheques made payable to Malvern Hills District Council):

Licensing, Malvern Hills District Council, The Council House, Avenue Road, Malvern, Worcestershire, WR14 3AF

You should also send copies of the forms to:

West Mercia Police, Worcester Police Station, Castle Street, Worcester, WR1 3QX

Will tacit consent apply?

Yes. The application may take effect immediately or on a date specified in the application form and revised premises licence and licence summary will be issued to you. If the chief officer of police for the area where the premises is situated is satisfied that the exceptional circumstances of the case are such that granting the application would undermine the crime prevention objective, he must give us a notice within 14 days. We will then hold a hearing to determine the notice given by the police.