Celebration of sports success at district awards
Nearly 200 people joined together to celebrate the district’s outstanding sporting success at the Malvern Hills District Community Sports Awards last night (Thursday).
The ninth annual event, which was held on 11 July at The Bank House Hotel in Bransford, recognised the area’s best sports men and women, as well as the commitment of the volunteers and coaches who support athletes and clubs across the district.
Run by Malvern Hills District Council in association with headline sponsor Freedom Leisure, awards were handed out in 12 different categories including ‘Positive Change of the Year’ and ‘Sports Personality of the Year’.
The awards were announced by compere, Andrew Easton, Radio Presenter for BBC Hereford and Worcester.
Dance in Motion Academy put on a spectacular opening show and Amanda Smith, Community Services Manager at Malvern Hills District Council, spoke of the council’s sporting success and projects over the last 12 months.
This year, the keynote speaker was Paralympian Mel Nicholls who is a wheelchair racer, endurance handcyclist and adventurer. Mel told her inspiring story, including her successful world record attempt to become the fastest person to handcycle from Land’s End to John O’Groats in June this year.
Cllr Tom Wells, Portfolio Holder for Community Services on Malvern Hills District Council, said: “The sports awards were a spectacular success and a great opportunity to celebrate the achievements of some of the district’s most talented sports-people, coaches and volunteers.
“We should be extremely proud of our inspirational residents who are out there making a difference to people’s health and well-being through sport. Thank-you to our sponsor Freedom Leisure and to everyone who came to show their support on the night.”
The full list of winners:
- Community Project of the Year – (Sponsored by Sports Partnership Herefordshire and Worcestershire)
Winner: The Friday Night Project
Runners up: MTFC Junior Club Matchday Experience / Pendock Spring Chicken Run
- Inclusive Project of the Year – (Sponsored by Three Counties Showground)
Winner: L&BBFC Inclusivity & Increased Participation Project
Runner up: Swim Inspiration
- Sports Schools of the Year – (Sponsored by Rural South Worcestershire Community Safety Partnership)
Winner: Tenbury CofE Primary Academy
Runner up: Pendock Primary School
- Team of the Year – (Sponsored by Automated Packaging Systems)
Runner up: L&BBFC U12 Saints
- Coach of the Year – (Sponsored by Malvern Hills District Council)
Winner: Gemma Hinton
Runners up: Adele Hodges / Jazz Kristy
- Club of the Year – (Sponsored by Fortis Living)
Winner: Malvern Buzzards Running Club
Runners up: Kempsey Tennis Club / Leigh & Bransford Badgers Football Club
- Positive Change of the Year – (Sponsored by YMCA Worcestershire)
Winner: Nicola Turrell
Runner up: Bronwen Matthews
- Volunteer of the Year – (Sponsored by Melton Group)
Winner: Bradley Barnes
Runner up: Simeon Foreman
- Young Female Sports Personality of the Year – (Sponsored by Malvern Panalytical)
Winner: Bryony Heasman
Runners up: Charlotte Martin / Sarah-Jane Ollis
- Young Male Sports Personality of the Year – (Sponsored by Cue Events)
Winner: Malachi Cashmore
Runner up: Charlie Bennett / Daniel Day
- Sports Personality of the Year – (Sponsored by Worcestershire County Cricket Club)
Winner: Ellen Cochrane
Runner up: Esme Ruff / Harriet Harnden
- Unsung Hero of the Year – (Sponsored by Freedom Leisure)
Joint winners: Lisa Stride-Turner / Peter Daffin