Residents and businesses are being urged to have their say on plans for new housing, employment and retail sites across South Worcestershire.
A six week public consultation begins today (Monday, 4 November) on proposals outlined in the Preferred Options document, as part of the next stage of the review of the South Worcestershire Development Plan (SWDP).
The document sets out how a Government requirement to build another 14,000 new homes across Malvern Hills District, Worcester City and Wychavon by 2041 could be met. This is on top of the need for 28,400 new homes by 2030, more than half of which have already been built, set out in the current SWDP.
The proposals include a new town of 5,000 homes by 2041 at Worcestershire Parkway, a new town at Throckmorton Airfield of 2,000 new homes from 2030, 1,000 new homes from 2030 at Rushwick and more than 3,300 homes at sites across Worcester, Droitwich Spa, Evesham, Malvern, Pershore and Tenbury Wells.
More than 900 new homes are also earmarked for villages across Wychavon and 390 within Malvern Hills District as well as 273 hectares of employment land.
A series of roadshows are planned across South Worcestershire, where planners will be on hand to explain the details of the proposals and answer questions.
The roadshows take place on the following dates, times and locations:
- Monday, 11 November 2019 at Bredon Village Hall, 2pm to 8pm
- Tuesday, 12 November 2019 at Tenbury Community Centre, 2pm to 8pm
- Wednesday, 13 November 2019 at Pershore Town Hall, 2pm to 8pm
- Thursday 14 November 2019, The Old Library, Droitwich Spa, 2pm to 8pm
- Saturday, 16 November 2019, The Guildhall, Worcester, 10am to 4pm
- Tuesday, 19 November 2019, Memorial Hall, Upton-upon-Severn, 2pm to 8pm
- Wednesday, 20 November 2019, Lyttelton Rooms, Malvern, 2pm to 8pm
- Thursday, 21 November 2019, Norton Village Hall, Norton Juxta Kempsey, 2pm to 8pm
- Monday, 25 November 2019, Rushwick Village Hall, Rushwick, 1pm to 7pm
- Tuesday, 26 November 2019, Throckmorton Village Hall, Throckmorton, 2pm to 8pm
- Thursday, 28 November 2019, Evesham Town Hall, Evesham, 2pm to 8pm
The best way to comment on the review is online at www.swdevelopmentplan.org
or by post to South Worcestershire Development Plan, Civic Centre, Queen Elizabeth Drive, Pershore, WR10 1PT.Fred Davies, Planning Policy Manager at Wychavon and Malvern Hills District Councils, said:
"I hope as many people as possible will take the opportunity to attend the roadshows, get the full facts for themselves and then crucially, submit their comments."Maria Dunn, Planning Policy Team Leader for Worcester City Council, said:
"Your comments are important to us and each one will be considered. Those comments which raise relevant planning issues will be assessed alongside the evidence and information gathered to date and may result in changes which will be reflected in the next and final SWDP Review consultation document next autumn."
The deadline for responses is 5pm on Monday, 16 December 2019. ENDS
Notes to editors:
The full preferred options document can be viewed by clicking on the link below: http://moderngov.malvernhills.gov.uk/ieListDocuments.aspx?CId=103&MId=2837&Ver=4&J=4
The breakdown of site allocations is as follows:Housing
- A new town at Worcestershire Parkway delivering 5,000 homes by 2041, with the potential for another 5,000 after that
- A new town at Throckmorton Airfield delivering 2,000 new homes from 2030 with the potential for further expansion in the future
- An expanded settlement at Rushwick delivering 1,000 new homes from 2030 once a new railway station has been secured
- Plans for 810 new homes on various sites around Worcester, 730 at Droitwich Spa, 203 in Evesham, 880 in Malvern, 662 in Pershore and 60 in Tenbury Wells.
- More than 900 new homes earmarked for villages across Wychavon and 390 within Malvern Hills District
Employment and retail land
- 140 hectares within Wychavon
- 55 hectares within Malvern Hills District
- 70 hectares split between Worcestershire Parkway, Throckmorton and Rushwick
The current South Worcestershire Development Plan (SWDP) covers the period 2006 to 2030 and is based on extensive evidence and previous consultations. It has been jointly prepared by the three partner councils – Malvern Hills, Worcester City and Wychavon.
The SWDP includes policies for dealing with four broad areas:
- Creating jobs and economic prosperity
- Meeting housing needs
- The environment.
Full details of the Plan are available at www.swdevelopmentplan.org
Below is the timetable for the review of the SWDP:
Issues and Options consultation
Preferred Options consultation
Publication of revised SWDP
Submission of Plan to Planning Inspectorate
Examination in public
Adoption of revised SWDP by three south Worcestershire councils
• South Worcestershire Development Plan websitewww.swdevelopmentplan.orgMedia enquiries: