Unusual items found in Priory Park's lower pond during works

Part of a house, two five-metre lamp posts and a skateboard were amongst the many items found in Priory Park's lower pond during the desilting works.

The pond, which hasn't been cleaned in 30 years, is currently undergoing enhancement and repair works as part of the council's Five Year Plan priority to improve the popular Great Malvern park.

Amongst the items found during the desilting works were:

  • Part of a house
  • Two five-metre lamp posts
  • One section of gutter
  • One chair
  • Five traffic cones
  • One road sign
  • One wall mounted cigarette bin
  • One skateboard
  • Two tennis rackets
  • One frisbee
  • Two banners
  • Mobile phones
  • Litter including glass and plastic bottles, cans and crisp packets

The house found in the pond was originally located at the Rose Bank Gardens and was left to the council by Dyson Perrins. It was used as an art studio until it fell into disrepair and was knocked down in the 1950s.

As well as this, 310 lorry-loads of silt has been removed from the lower pond. This will enable the pond to start capturing carbon again and provide the right environment for plants to grow.

The next stage is to incorporate new wildlife habitats and log piles around the pond for aquatic invertebrates and insects. Shrubs and woodland bulbs will also be planted, along with the installation of gabion baskets to create planting shelves.

Cllr Peter Whatley, Portfolio Holder for Resources at Malvern Hills District Council, said: "We always knew there would be some interesting finds when we started the much-needed desilting works on the lower pond and we weren't disappointed. It has been great to see the work progress on the pond which will improve the water quality and make it more suitable for wetland wildlife to thrive."

Works on the lower pond will continue on the lower pond until early May.

The project has received funding of £102,716.37 from the European Regional Development Fund, awarded by Natural Networks. This makes up 45% of the project cost, with Malvern Hills District Council providing the remaining 55%.

Visit www.malvernhills.gov.uk/priorypark to keep up to date with the improvements to Priory Park.


The project is receiving up to) £102,716.37 of funding from the England European Regional Development Fund as part of the European Structural and Investment Funds Growth Programme 2014-2020. The Natural Networks programme is delivered in partnership between Worcestershire County Council and Worcestershire Wildlife Trust. Further information can be found at www.worcestershire.gov.uk/naturalnetworks.

The Ministry of Housing, Communities and Local Government (and in London the intermediate body Greater London Authority) is the Managing Authority for European Regional Development Fund. Established by the European Union, the European Regional Development Fund helps local areas stimulate their economic development by investing in projects which will support innovation, businesses, create jobs and local community regenerations. For more information visit www.gov.uk/european-growth-funding. 

Stay Informed

When you subscribe to the blog, we will send you an e-mail when there are new updates on the site so you wouldn't miss them.

Delay to SWDP publication
Council worker to take on 100km celebrity trek for...