Frequently Asked Questions

What does Civil Parking Enforcement (CPE) mean?

Civil Parking Enforcement means the Highway Authority (in this case Worcestershire County Council) is responsible for enforcing parking restrictions instead of the Police.

The County Council has delegated its responsibility to enforce the restrictions to Malvern Hills District Council (MHDC). CPE started throughout the Malvern Hills District on the 12 November 2013.

Why is the council doing this?

  • Reduce congestion.
  • Ensure designated parking bays (e.g. loading and disabled bays) are available for the relevant vehicles.
  • Improve trade for local businesses by freeing up spaces outside local amenities.
  • Encourage safe and sensible parking for all motorists.
  • Allow buses to operate more efficiently.
  • Improve the flow of traffic and improve the environment. 

The Police will no longer have to spend as much time on parking related issues as we will be able to target Officers to deal with priority issues. These include parking on zigzag lines at crossings, illegal parking in disabled bays and parking contraventions in areas of the district that the Police are unable to visit frequently.

What changes will I see?

Parking restrictions will stay exactly as they have always been for the near future. The County Council's Highways department may agree to amend any restrictions as a result of a case being brought forward by a County Councillor on behalf of local residents, in which case due notice will be given on any proposed changes before they are put in place. Existing road markings and signs have been refurbished to ensure that they are as clear as possible.

How has the council notified everyone about CPE?

MHDC arranged for large, "Park Right" branded 'AA' information boards to be erected in key locations at entrances to the three main towns in the district (Malvern, Upton and Tenbury), which notified drivers about the new enforcement arrangements.

Leaflets and posters were also distributed locally in these towns and our website will continue to be regularly updated with information about CPE. Press releases were also issued to local media outlets with information about CPE.

How will enforcement work?

Civil Enforcement Officers (CEO's) will patrol all areas of the Malvern Hills District where parking restrictions exist and are covered by a Traffic Regulation Order (TRO).

What type of fine will I receive if I park incorrectly?

A Penalty Charge Notice (PCN) will be issued for any contravention that is on-street (e.g. parking a car in a bus bay) and also for those in an MHDC car park (e.g. not displaying a valid ticket). These will replace the current Fixed Penalty Notices and Excess Charge Notices that are issues by the Police and Street Scene Wardens respectively.

How much will it cost if I am issued a PCN?

The PCN will either be £50 or £70 depending on how serious the contravention is considered to be. The charge is reduced by 50% (to £25 or £35) if it is paid within the first 14 days. If a PCN remains unpaid, it will revert back to the original amount of £50 or £70 for a period of 28 days, after which it will increase by 50% (to £75 or £105). PCN levels are set nationally.

What is considered to be a more serious contravention?

Generally any vehicle parked on a yellow line or a vehicle parked in a disabled bay without clearly displaying a valid disabled badge, are considered as more serious contraventions. A vehicle that is parked in an MHDC car park with an expired pay and display ticket would be considered a less serious contravention. The contraventions are also set nationally.

What happens with the money that is received from parking fines?

If there is any income from PCN's issued for on-street contraventions left over once the costs of running this enforcement service have been deducted, it cannot be added to MHDC's general income.

Instead, it is passed back to the County Council and can only be used for improvements to traffic management. Any income from PCN's issues on MHDC car parks will be available to the District Council to use as it wishes.

Do CEO's have targets to meet?

No - staff are paid a fixed salary and receive no performance related pay, nor are they set a target number of PCN's to issue.

What can I do if I don't agree that a PCN should have been issued?

You can appeal against a PCN that has been issued to you by contacting the Council's Parking Services Unit (PSU). The team will look into your case and come to a decision. If you appeal against the PCN within 14 days of receiving it, the case will remain 'on hold' until a decision has been reached. In the event that the PCN is not cancelled and you do not wish to appeal further, the discounted amount of either £25 or £35 will be offered for 14 days.

What if I still don't agree with the council's decision?

Assuming that you haven't paid the PCN, a Notice to Owner will be issued to the registered owner/keeper of the vehicle and a further representation may be submitted to the PST.

Your case will then be reviewed by a different officer to the original appeal and if the PST still rejects the appeal, the owner will have the option to take the case to the Traffic Penalty Tribunal (TPT).

The TPT is a national independent body and an adjudicator will consider the appellants case, the case submitted by the Council, and a final decision will be made.

What is the local councillor's role?

Councillors do not have a role in the appeals process and should not ask for PCN's to be cancelled under any circumstances.
All appeal decisions are made by experienced staff based at the Civic Centre in Pershore, in accordance with MHDC's Parking Appeals Policy.

Members may occasionally become involved in supporting their constituents in appeals, but we will only discuss cases with members (or any other relevant person) with the written consent of the keeper of the vehicle to which the PCN was issued. This is for data protection purposes.

The Council is however required to elect 2 representatives who can attend the annual TPT meeting, which sets the levy on all participating authorities to fund the TPT scheme and to engage in the management of the scheme.

What if I am a councillor and I am issued with a PCN?

The TRO's apply to all motorists and we cannot treat elected Councillors differently to other motorists.  Please do not ask for special permission to park illegally or for your PCN to be cancelled. Officers are not permitted to cancel PCN's, or to grant consent for parking concessions for Councillors outside of our MHDC parking policies.