We recommend using the advice and guidance tools below to help you work out if you need to apply for planning permission. These tools do not provide a definitive source of legal information.

Do I need planning permission?

Planning permission and Building Regulations approval are two separate things. You may need one or both depending on your project.

Some developments can be carried out without planning permission. This is known as Permitted Development. Visit the Planning Portal website for advice and guidance on common household projects that can be done without planning permission.

If you still don't know if you need planning permission then you can use our Permitted Development enquiry service. You will have to pay for this service. 

Please read our planning permission FAQs for more information.

In some cases where planning permission is not needed you may still need building regulations approval.

To check, please email This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.. You can also download the  pdf building regulations information pack. (3.68 MB)

Pre-application advice service 

If planning permission is needed for your development, we can provide you with advice before you submit a full planning application. You will have to pay for this service.

Submit a pre-application advice request

Charges for pre-application advice

We do not charge for new and expanding businesses creating employment opportunities.

Proposed Development Type  


Residential Development* Development Site Area Proposed Gross Floor Area** Fee (inc VAT) Fee for each additional meeting (inc VAT)
1-4 dwellings Less than 0.5ha

500mor less

£331.10 £133.60
5-9 dwellings 0.6 - 0.99ha 501 - 999m2 £662.75 £133.60
10-49 dwellings 1.0 - 1.25ha 1000 - 2499m2 £1310.90 £660.50
50-199 dwellings 1.26 - 2.0ha 2,500 - 9,999m2 £2629.80 £994.60
200+ dwellings More than 2ha 10,000m2+ £3945.20



  Fee (inc VAT) Fee for each additional meeting (inc VAT)


£69.50 £37.40
Change of Use £197.70 £101.65
Telecommunications £197.70 £101.65
Glasshouses/ Poly Tunnels £292.55 £133.60
Householder Development £48.05 N/A
Other*** £133.60 £69.50

 * includes one-for-one replacements and conversions/ subdivisions.

** measured externally.
*** includes all other development proposals not falling within any of the above categories such as variation or removal of conditions, car parks and roads and certificates for lawfulness.

Under the Freedom of Information Act 2000 and Environmental Information Regulation 2004 we may receive a request to provide information regarding enquiries for pre-application advice. Requests will be reviewed on a case by case basis and may involve some information to be released. We may contact you if such a request is received.

Dropped kerbs and crossovers

Planning permission will be needed if the proposed access sits on a classified road. To find out more visit Worcestershire County Council (Classified and Unclassified roads).

Even if you do not need planning permission, you will still need permission from Ringway Infrastructure Services. They will also need to create your dropped kerb or pavement/verge crossing.

You can email them at This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. or call 01905 751651. 

You can also write to them at:

Ringway Infrastructure Services, Highways House,
Warndon Depot,
Pershore Lane, Warndon,