Smoke free play areas
From 1 June, council owned play parks within the Malvern Hills district became voluntary smoke free zones as a result of us signing the Local Government Declaration on Tobacco Control. View the declaration here.
The declaration is a statement of Malvern Hills District Council’s commitment to address the harm caused by tobacco as part of our priorities; to build stronger and healthier communities and make the most of our superb environment.
Voluntary smoke free zones have been introduced in seven of our play areas:
- Priory Park, Malvern
- Dean Close, Powick
- Montgomery Close, Powick
- Milestone Road, Upton
- Gainsborough Close,Welland
- Gifford Drive, Welland
- Blandford Close, Welland
Smoke free zones have already been successfully introduced by several local authorities across the country. Evidence shows the benefits of introducing smoke free play areas includes:
- Decreases the opportunity for children to see adults smoking around them
- Creates an environment in which smoking in not seen as the norm thus potentially motivating smokers to cut down or to quit
- Protects the environment and saving local authorities money by reducing tobacco- related litter
- Offers further protection from the harmful effects of second-hand smoke.
If you would like to discuss anything to do with smoke free play areas in Malvern Hills district email firstname.lastname@example.org.