Your work as a Councillor
This section provides an outline of your role as a councillor, practical advice and tips on fulfilling the role.
- Ward Work
- Planning and Regulation
- Developing Policy
- Connecting with Others
- Talking to the Press
- Social Media
- Member Development
- Reaching out to your Community
Please refer to the Training and Guidance page for details of the Induction Programme as well as training and development opportunities available to all Councillors.
Our Community Leadership and Engagement Officer works alongside councillors on a Members Liaison Group to discuss training and development matters on an ongoing basis.
If you would like to be involved in the group or have suggestions then please contact Claire Vaughan on 01684 862449 or email email@example.com
External Links - Support Available
There are many other organisations which can support you in your role as a councillor, for example, the Local Government Association (LGA). Some organisations deal with specific issues or sections of the community (e.g. Age UK) and others have a more general approach and deal with numerous issues (e.g. Rural Services Network). Below are a few links and tips on some of the many organisations which may be of interest to you:
- Local Government Association http://www.local.gov.uk/ - this website has a wealth of information as well as information on events. You can sign up to a variety of monthly E-bulletins to stay informed on their work on various issues. They have recently launched an e-learning portal for councillors available at this link: http://lms.learningnexus.co.uk/LGA/
- District Council’s Network- The DCN is a cross-party member-led network of 200 district councils and provides a single voice for district councils within the LGA.
- Rural Services Network http://www.rsnonline.org.uk/ - this organisation is devoted to safeguarding and improving services in rural communities across England.
- Ministry of Housing, Communities & Local Government https://www.gov.uk/government/organisations/department-for-communities-and-local-government - this website has a variety of invaluable information including which MPs are ministers in the department and key staff members.
- Planning Advisory Service http://www.pas.gov.uk/ - this website contains all sorts of information related to planning issues, with a dedicated section for councillors. You can sign up to receive their monthly bulletin via email.
- Local Government Chronicle http://www.lgcplus.com/ - the Chronicle aims to deliver essential information that enables local authority chief executives, their senior colleagues and the companies they work with to provide better public services.
- Local Government Information Unit http://www.lgiu.org.uk/ - this is a local democracy think tank which has interesting news, research and events/courses. You can sign up to receive updates on LGiU blog posts, research projects and events.
- Centre for Public Scrutiny (CfPS) https://www.cfps.org.uk/
- Municipal Journal (MJ) https://www.themj.co.uk/ The MJ is a market leading information, intelligence and news resource for anyone who needs to know about the UK’s local authorities.