Compliments and Complaints: tell us what you think

Our aim is to deliver right services first time, every time, but we know there are occasions when we get things wrong. When that happens it is important you tell us so we can take action.

The feedback we receive from you will help us review our services and make any necessary changes. It’s also useful to hear what we are doing well as it helps us plan for the future.

What if I want to compliment the council or make other suggestions?

Please do, it is always great to receive positive feedback. Compliments can be made about an overall service, department or individual member of staff. They can be made by filling in the online form here or using the details in our leaflet below. 

When should I complain?

Please let us know if:

  • You experience delays or a failure to respond to a service request
  • The service you receive is not as you expected
  • You were treated in an unprofessional way

Please note, if you have a specific issue relating to a particular service (e.g. missed bin collection) please report it by clicking here.

How do I complain?

Complaints can be made 24/7 by clicking here and filling in our online form to ensure your query is dealt with as quickly as possible. Further details can be found in our leaflet.

All complaints will be treated as confidential and personal information will not be revealed to anyone outside of Malvern Hills District Council without your permission. You can also ask someone else to make the complaint for you, such as your local district councillor. 

What happens when I complain?

Most complaints can be dealt with informally and staff will try to deal with it at the time. Where that is not possible your complaint will be acknowledged within two working days. 

A full investigation will then take place by the service involved and we will respond within 12 working days.
We will then provide an explanation and, if required, an apology and details of what we can do to put it right. 

If you are not happy with the response then you can appeal and it will then be investigated by a senior manager from another department who will send you their findings within 15 working days. In some cases investigations can take longer but you will be informed if that is the case.

What if I’m still not satisfied?

If you are still not happy you have the right to take your complaint to the Local Government Ombudsman to investigate. However, please note the Ombudsmen is unlikely to consider your complaint unless you have given us a chance to fully investigate it first.
Local Government Ombudsman
PO Box 4771
CV4 0EH 

Telephone: 0300 061 0614 (Monday to Friday 8.30am to 5pm)

Will you deal with all complaints?

Unfortunately there are some things we cannot take action on. These include:
•    A request for a service, e.g. missed bins (unless there has been a repeated service failure).
•    The conduct of a councillor. These will be forwarded to our Monitoring Officer. Further information can be found on our complaint against a councillor page. 
•    Where a crime may have happened. These should be directed to the police.
•    When the issue is the responsibility of another organisation.
•    Disagreements over policy decisions or those of the Government.
•    Where there is a separate appeals process such as is the case with planning or parking fines.
•    Complaints which are more than 12 months old.

When we receive complaints we cannot deal with we will always explain why and try and direct you to the right person or organisation.

Unreasonable complaints

Sometimes complainants may show unreasonable or persistent behaviour. On those occasions, the Council has an Unreasonable Complainant procedure, which maybe followed. This can be made available on request.

Whistleblowing Policy

We are committed to the highest possible standards of openness, probity and accountability. We encourage employees and others with serious concerns about any aspect of the council's work to come forward and voice those concerns. To view the policy please click here.