Council Tax

The council issues a bill to all households in March at the start of each financial year. The bill shows how much you have to pay each month. The service of this bill (or demand) places a duty on the person named on the bill to pay as notified.

Where your circumstances change or you move house during the financial year, you should let the council know straight away so that your bill can be adjusted accordingly.

The bill will show how the charge is calculated including elements for precepting authorities/organisations e.g. the fire brigade. It will also show any discounts/exemptions or benefits you have applied for and the council believes you are entitled to.

Council Tax bands and charges  - View your Council Tax band and charges for 2019/20
Disabled people - Financial assistance available for disabled people
Discounts and exemptions  - Find out if you are eligible for reductions to your Council Tax bill 
Council Tax Support  - Apply for help to pay your Council Tax
How to Pay  - Pay your bill using one of our multiple payment options
Moving out - Let us know if you are changing your address so that you can pay the correct Council Tax


See what the Council Tax budget is spent on and how much it costs to provide key services - About your Council Tax bill 2019/2020 

View, pay or manage your Council Tax bill using your Self Service account. 



Sign up today

We can send your Council Tax bills to you by email instead of through the post. See below for details.

What can I do if I don't agree with a Council Tax Support decision?

If you think that our decision about your Council Tax Support is wrong you can ask us to explain the reasons for the decision. You must contact us straight away because if you want us to look at the decision again, you must do it in writing within one month of the date of the decision letter, not the date you contact the office.

If you are still not happy with our reply, you can appeal, of which there is no time limit. You must appeal to us first, and if you are still not happy with the outcome, you can appeal to the Valuation Tribunal. (Some decisions, mainly administrative decisions, do not carry a right of appeal. We will tell you if what you are disputing does not carry a right of appeal).

About Valuation Bands

All council tax valuations are based on the price a property would have fetched if it had been sold on 01st April 1991. Any increase or fall in a dwelling's value, which results from general changes in the housing market since then will not affect your council tax band.

However, you can appeal if:

  • There is a material increase or reduction in the value of the dwelling, or
  • You start or stop using part of the dwelling for business, or 
  • You have just moved (you must appeal within six months of your move), or
  • The Listing Officer alters the band.

Please note: The Listing Officer can increase your band if an error has been made.

If you think your band is too low please contact:

The Listing Officer,
Government Buildings,
Whittington Road,

Telephone 0300 0507 600.

Information about the Listing Officer and appeals can be found at the Valuation Office Agency website.

About Liability to Pay

You may also appeal if you consider that you are not liable to pay Council Tax, for example, because you are not the resident or owner, or because your property is exempt, or that we have made a mistake calculating your bill.

If you wish to appeal on these grounds you must notify us in writing, and we will readily review the situation. Contact us with the details of your appeal.

Please note: Making an appeal does not allow you to withhold payment of tax owing in the meantime. If your appeal is successful you will be entitled to a refund of any overpaid tax.

If you make an appeal and you are still not satisfied that a proper decision has been reached (or you are not notified of a decision within 2 months of making your appeal) you can then appeal to a Valuation Tribunal or the Listing Officer (Valuation appeals only), or the The Tribunal Office, Hepworth House, Unit 2 Trafford Court, Doncaster, DN1 1PN, telephone (01785) 254321. You can find more information about Valuation Tribunals by visiting the Valuation Tribunal Service Website.

Council Tax eBilling

We can send your Council Tax bills to you by email instead of through the post.

The benefits of ebilling

  • You will receive your bill as soon as it is available.
  • It saves paper so is better for the environment.
  • It helps to reduce council spending by saving printing and postage costs.
  • You still have the option to print your bill or forward a copy to someone if you need to.
  • How to sign up for ebilling

  • There are three ways to sign up for ebilling:
    • Send an email from the address you would like us to use with ‘Yes to ebilling’ in the subject line and include your name and council tax account number (on your bill) or your address. Send your email to
    • Register for our online council tax self service facility which includes e-billing sign up and lets you view full details of your account.
    • Call 03004 560 560 and ask to sign up for ebilling.

    What happens next?

    • Once you have signed up for ebilling we will send future council tax bills to you by email unless you ask us to stop
    • You must tell us if you change your email address
    • We will contact you if our emails to you cannot be delivered because your email address is invalid.

    Contact us


    If you wish to speak to someone regarding your benefit application please call 03004 560 560.

    If you have a question regarding an invoice you have received for overpaid Housing Benefit you should call 03004 560 560.

    If you have any further comments, suggestions or complaints please feel free to write to us at: South Worcestershire Revenues and Benefits Shared Services, PO Box 11, Pershore, WR10 1PU.

    You should note that Council Tax enquiries should be directed to the Council Tax department and NOT the Benefits Section.