If you are planning an event that involves a large number of people being in the road, then in the interests of public safety you may need to apply for a temporary traffic diversion order.
The council will need to be satisfied that:
- There will be no undue inconvenience to road users
- Access will be maintained for emergency vehicles
- An appropriate diversion is in place (or is unnecessary)
- Road closures and any diversion will properly sign posted and marshalled
It is the responsibility of the event organiser to ensue the safety of people attending or participating in the event. Not all roads are suitable for Traffic Diversion Orders and where an order is refused, the organiser must consider whether the event can safely proceed without such an order.
The Home Office have published The Good Practice Safety Guide for events taking place on the highway.
How to Apply
There is a simplified form of application available for use by anyone planning a street party celebration, there is no fee for the application.
Please return the completed application by post or email:
Post: Legal Services, Malvern Hills District Council, Council House, Avenue Road, Malvern, WR14 3AF.
Please send at least 28 days before the date of the proposed event.
The fee for all applications other than Remembrance Day Parades and applications from organisations with a registered charity number:
- Single Application £90.00
- Multiple applications from same applicant £180.00
Applications must be submitted at least six weeks before the intended event.