Help with your rent
You can now only claim Housing Benefit through your local authority if any of the following apply:
- You are single and have reached State Pension Age.
- You are in a partnership and you have both reached State Pension Age.
- You are in Council placed emergency housing or certain types of exempt or specified accommodation.
If you fall into the categories listed above, learn how to start a new claim for Housing Benefit and/or find Council Tax Support.
If this list does not apply to you then you will need to make a claim through Universal Credits instead.
Use the GOV.UK benefits calculator to find out what benefits you may be entitled to and how your benefits will be affected if you start work.
Help with your Council Tax
If you need to make a new claim for Housing Benefit and/or Council Tax Support, please visit our new claim webpage.
Please note: This application is for new claims only.
Completing your application
- The form includes full instructions on how to make a claim as well as a list of the evidence and documents that you will need to provide.
Please do not wait until you have all your evidence before submitting your claim as you may lose out on benefit.
Payments of Housing Benefits can be paid directly into your bank account unless there is reason to pay your landlord direct. These reasons could be that you are unable to manage your own financial affairs or that you are 8 weeks or more in arrears with your rent. If you rent from a housing association, you can opt for housing benefit to be paid direct to your landlord without the above reasons being relevant.
If you require payments of housing benefit to be paid to you and you do not have a bank account, you will need to open a new account.
Help to complete your application
‘Our contact centres do continue to provide support for people who do not have access to online facilities or who need assistance to make a claim.
You can visit our contact centre which is open from 9am-4:30pm Monday to Thursday and Friday, 9am to 4pm except bank holidays. You can also call us on 03004 560 560 between 9am and 3pm Monday to Friday.
Visit: Malvern Hills District Council, The Council House, Avenue Road, Malvern, WR14 3AF
Already receiving Housing Benefit or Council Tax Support?
- View your Housing Benefit and Council Tax Support claim using your Self Service account.
- Let us know if you have a Change in circumstances, as this could affect your benefits entitlement.
- Find out if you are eligible to receive Discounts and exemptions