Accessibility Tools

Skip to main content
How can we help you?
Benefits and Council Tax

Benefits advice

In this section you will find the following information:

Help with your rent

You can now only claim Housing Benefit through your local authority if any of the following apply:

  • You are single and have reached State Pension Age.
  • You are in a partnership and you have both reached State Pension Age.
  • You are in Council placed emergency housing or certain types of exempt or specified accommodation.

If you fall into the categories listed above, learn how to start a new claim for Housing Benefit and/or find Council Tax Support.

If this list does not apply to you then you will need to make a claim through Universal Credits instead.

Benefits calculator

Use the GOV.UK benefits calculator to find out what benefits you may be entitled to and how your benefits will be affected if you start work.

Help with your Council Tax

If you need to make a new claim for Housing Benefit and/or Council Tax Support, please visit our new claim webpage.

You will be able to submit evidence to support your claim at the end of the application process by uploading documents saved on your computer. You will in all cases need to provide evidence of all income or benefits received, along with any capital held to enable us to process your application. Please don’t delay in submitting a claim as you are able to provide any supporting evidence within 1 month of the claim submission to This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.. You should always quote your reference number given during the application if evidence is supplied at a later date to ensure it gets linked to your new application.

Please note: This application is for new claims only.

Start a new claim

Completing your application

  • The form includes full instructions on how to make a claim as well as a list of the evidence and documents that you will need to provide.
  • New claimants are advised not to delay submitting their forms as they will be able to upload their evidence at the end of the online application. They will also have one month to either email their scanned or photographed supporting documents to This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. or drop them into the Council Offices. Find information about Council Offices.

Please do not wait until you have all your evidence before submitting your claim as you may lose out on benefit.


Payments of Housing Benefits can be paid directly into your bank account unless there is reason to pay your landlord direct. These reasons could be that you are unable to manage your own financial affairs or that you are 8 weeks or more in arrears with your rent. If you rent from a housing association, you can opt for housing benefit to be paid direct to your landlord without the above reasons being relevant.

If you require payments of housing benefit to be paid to you and you do not have a bank account, you will need to open a new account.

Help to complete your application

‘Our contact centres do continue to provide support for people who do not have access to online facilities or who need assistance to make a claim.

You can visit our contact centre which is open from 9am-4:30pm Monday to Thursday and Friday, 9am to 4pm except bank holidays. You can also call us on 03004 560 560 between 9am and 3pm Monday to Friday.

Visit: Malvern Hills District Council, The Council House, Avenue Road, Malvern, WR14 3AF

Already receiving Housing Benefit or Council Tax Support?