Help with your rent
Following the introduction of Universal Credit to our area in 2018 it is now the case that if you are renting your home and on a low income and need to make a new claim for help with your rent, you will now likely be required to make a new claim for Housing Costs through Universal Credit.
You can only claim Housing Benefit through your local authority if any of these apply:
- You are single and have reached State Pension Age.
- You are in a partnership and you have both reached State Pension Age.
- You are in Council placed emergency housing or certain types of exempt or specified accommodation.
If you fall in to the categories listed above, learn how to start a new claim for Housing Benefit and/or find Council Tax Support.
If this list does not apply to you then you will need to make a claim for your housing costs through Universal Credit. Please follow the links below to find out more and make a new claim online.
If this list does not apply to you then you will need to make a claim through Universal Credits instead.
Use the GOV.UK benefits calculator to find out what benefits you may be entitled to and how your benefits will be affected if you start work.
Help with your Council Tax
Council Tax Support can cover a percentage of the bills for people of working age and up to 100 per cent for pensioners. If you are on a low income and require help with your council tax bill, please start a new claim today.
Please note: This application is for new claims only and you must have an email address to proceed with the online claim.
Completing your application
- The form includes full instructions on how to make a claim as well as a list of the evidence and documents that will need to provide.
Please do not wait until you have all your evidence before submitting your claim as you may lose out on benefit.
Payments of Housing Benefits are paid directly into your bank account. If you do not have a bank account, you would need to open a new account.
Help to complete your application
Our Contact Centres will continue to provide support for people who do not have access to online facilities or who need assistance to make a claim.
Call us on 03004 560 560. Our contact centre is open from 9am-5pm Monday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday and from 9:30am to 5pm on Tuesdays except bank holidays.
Visit: Malvern Hills District Council, The Council House, Avenue Road, Malvern, WR14 3AF
Already receiving Housing Benefits or Council Tax Support?
- View your Housing Benefit and Council Tax Support claim using your Self Service account.
- Let us know if you have a Change in circumstances, as this could affect your benefits entitlement.
- Find out if you are eligible to receive Discounts and exemptions