Accessibility Tools

Skip to main content
How can we help you?
Benefits and Council Tax

Disability Benefits

In this section you will find the following information:

There are a number of benefits available that can help with the special needs of disabled customers. 

Personal Independence Payment (PIP)

Disability Living Allowance (DLA) has been replaced by Personal Independence Payment (PIP) for people aged 16 to 64, who will be claiming for the first time. For claims already in payment, DLA will still apply.  pdf Read about Personal Independence Payment (PIP) (820 KB)

PIP includes an assessment of individual needs and aims to make sure financial support is targeted at those who face the greatest challenges to living independently.

How to claim

You can make your claim by calling the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP). Claims can be made by the post however this can delay the decision on your claim.

PIP claims
Telephone: 0800 917 2222
Textphone: 0800 917 7777
NGT text relay (if you cannot hear or speak on the phone): 18001 then 0800 917 2222
Video relay service for British Sign Language (BSL) users - check you can use the service
Calling from abroad: +44 191 218 7766 
Monday to Friday, from 8 am to 5 pm
Call charges may apply

Write a letter to ask for the form:
Personal Independence Payment New Claims
Post Handling Site B
WV99 1AH 

Find further information on the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) website.

Attendance Allowance

Attendance Allowance (AA) is awarded to applicants who are who are state pension age when they apply, who need supervision and/or help with personal care because of their illness or disability.

Help must have been needed for at least six months, but there is no qualifying period for a person who is terminally ill.

How to claim

Make a claim using the Attendance Allowance claim form, which is available to download from GOV.UK or call the helpline to request a copy of the form or alternative formats (such as braille, large print or audio CD)

Attendance Allowance helpline
Telephone: 0800 731 0122 
Textphone: 0800 731 0317 
NGT text relay (if you cannot hear or speak on the phone): 18001 then 0800 731 0122 
Monday to Friday, from 8 am to 5 pm 
Call charges may apply

Send the completed form to:
Freepost DWP Attendance Allowance

Further information on the Department for Work and Pensions website

Visit the Age UK website

Carer's Allowance

Carer's Allowance is for people aged 16 and over who spend at least 35 hours a week caring for a severely disabled person getting Attendance Allowance (either rate) or Personal Independence Payment care component at the middle or upper rate.

The carer must not be in full-time education or (if working) earning more than a certain amount per week after deducting allowable expenses.

How to claim

You can make your claim on the GOV.UK website.

Further information can be found on the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) website.

Other help is available:

Blue Badge scheme

The Blue Badge scheme is a disabled parking permit that allows people who are registered to park closer to where they need to go. Visit the Disabled Person Car Badge page on the Worcestershire Council website.

Council Tax reductions

If you, or someone who lives with you, need a room, an extra bathroom or kitchen, or extra space in your property because you use a wheelchair indoors, you may be entitled to a reduced council tax bill.

For more information see our Discounts and exemptions pages.

Concessionary Fares

Elderly and disabled people are eligible for a concessionary bus pass. Visit the Worcestershire County Council website to find out if you are entitled to a travel concessions pass.

Disabled Facilities Grant

Financial help is available to you, if you have a disability and need to make changes to your home. Find out more on our Disabled facilities grants page.