Council Tax Support Appeals

If you think that our decision about your Council Tax Support is wrong you can ask us to explain the reasons for the decision. You must contact us straight away because if you want us to look at the decision again, you must do it in writing within one month of the date of the decision letter, not the date you contact the office.

If you are still not happy with our reply, you can appeal, of which there is no time limit. You must appeal to us first, and if you are still not happy with the outcome, you can appeal to the Valuation Tribunal. (Some decisions, mainly administrative decisions, do not carry a right of appeal. We will tell you if what you are disputing does not carry a right of appeal).

About Valuation Bands

All council tax valuations are based on the price a property would have fetched if it had been sold on 01st April 1991. Any increase or fall in a dwelling's value, which results from general changes in the housing market since then will not affect your council tax band.

However, you can appeal if:

  • There is a material increase or reduction in the value of the dwelling, or
  • You start or stop using part of the dwelling for business, or 
  • You have just moved (you must appeal within six months of your move), or
  • The Listing Officer alters the band.

Please note: The Listing Officer can increase your band if an error has been made.

If you think your band is too low please contact:

The Listing Officer,
Government Buildings,
Whittington Road,

Telephone 0300 0507 600.

Information about the Listing Officer and appeals can be found at the Valuation Office Agency website.

About Liability to Pay

You may also appeal if you consider that you are not liable to pay Council Tax, for example, because you are not the resident or owner, or because your property is exempt, or that we have made a mistake calculating your bill.

If you wish to appeal on these grounds you must notify us in writing, and we will readily review the situation. Contact us with the details of your appeal.

Please note: Making an appeal does not allow you to withhold payment of tax owing in the meantime. If your appeal is successful you will be entitled to a refund of any overpaid tax.

If you make an appeal and you are still not satisfied that a proper decision has been reached (or you are not notified of a decision within 2 months of making your appeal) you can then appeal to a Valuation Tribunal or the Listing Officer (Valuation appeals only), or the The Tribunal Office, Hepworth House, Unit 2 Trafford Court, Doncaster, DN1 1PN, telephone (01785) 254321. You can find more information about Valuation Tribunals by visiting the Valuation Tribunal Service Website.