Pension Credit is extra money for people of pensioner age, intended to supplement the UK State Pension and bring your weekly income up to a minimum amount. There are two elements of Pension Credit:
An entitlement for people aged 60 or over with low income. It tops up your income if it is below £167.25 (single people) and £255.25 (for couples). The amount of benefit you receive will be affected by your savings if they are above fixed limits.
For people aged 65 or over who are rewarded for saving for their retirement. As such, you may be able to get extra help if your pension provision is above the state pension level. This is paid with any Guarantee Credit.
Pension Credit calculator
Find out if you're eligible for Pension Credit and how much you could get using the Pension Credit calculator.
How to claim
- The quickest way to apply for Pension Credit is by telephone - 0800 99 1234
- Text phone - 0800 169 0133
- NGT text relay (if you cannot hear or speak on the phone) - 18001 then 0800 99 1234
Monday to Friday 8 am to 6 pm.
You will need:
- National Insurance number
- Information about your income, savings and investments
- Your bank account details