The majority of the money we spend on services every year comes from Council Tax and Business Rates.

Since 2010 we have saved £6 million from our budget as a result of reductions in our government funding. We have worked hard to protect the things you care about though, with less than 1% of these savings coming from frontline services.

By 2027 we need to save another £400,000. That is why this year we took the difficult decision to increase our share of the Council Tax bill by £5 for an average Band D property.

This increase will help protect the important services we all rely on and help fund our Covid-19 recovery work.

Our share of the bill continues to be the second lowest in Worcestershire and one of the lowest in the country.

You can read on for more information regarding 2022/23 Council Tax.

Council Tax Energy Rebate

The Government is providing a £150 one-off Energy Bills Rebate for most households in council tax bands A-D.

Find out more about the Council Tax Energy Rebate on the government's website (opens in new window).

The Government has published a factsheet addressing some of the most common queries about the Council Tax Energy rebate. Read the Council Tax Energy rebate factsheet (opens in new window)

When will I get the £150?

If you pay your Council Tax using another method, then you will be able to claim the payment through the Post Office with a special voucher which will be sent to you.

These vouchers have all now been sent.

If you have not received a payment yet and want to see if you are entitled please send an email to This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. putting Energy Rebate and your council tax account number in the subject line.

Energy Rebate Discretionary fund

The government have provided funding for councils to operate a discretionary fund for households in need who may not otherwise be eligible for a Council Tax Rebate. This could include, for example, individuals on low incomes who live in properties valued in bands E to H.  

Payments under Malvern Hills Discretionary Energy Rebate Scheme are expected to be made during September. You do not need to apply for this. If you are entitled to this rebate it will be sent to you automatically.

There will be a £150 payment for those people receiving Council Tax Support in properties banded E-H 

Households in receipt of full Council Tax Support who live in a band A-D property will receive a second top up payment additional to the £150 that they received earlier in the year of circa £40.

Again payments will be made firstly to households who we hold bank account details for, with remaining households being able to claim via the Post Office on receipt of a letter from the council.

Does this mean I don’t have to pay my Council Tax bill?

No, you must continue to pay your Council Tax bill on the dates shown.. If you are struggling to pay, find out more about support to pay your Council Tax.

Properties that qualify for the Energy Bills Rebate

Guidance from the Government confirms that a one-off payment will be paid to every household that occupies a property and meets one of the following criteria on 1 April 2022:

  • the property is in Council Tax bands A-D and is someone’s sole or main residence
  • the property is in bands A-D and is exempt from Council Tax under one of the following classes :
    • class N - occupied solely by full-time students
    • class S - occupied by people under the age of 18
    • class U - occupied by someone who is severely mentally impaired
    • class W - an occupied annexe
    • the person(s) who is liable to pay the Council Tax (or would be if the property wasn't exempt) is not a local authority, a corporate body or other body such as a housing association, the Government or governmental body
  • the property is a band E property that has a disabled person's reduction applied, effectively reducing the band to a band D

Households that don't pay Council Tax as a result of Council Tax Support will still be eligible for the payment.

Properties that do not qualify for the Energy Bills Rebate

Unoccupied properties that are unfurnished will not be eligible. 

Unoccupied properties that are furnished, have no permanent residents and are a second home will not be eligible.

Who you pay Council Tax to

You pay Council Tax to five different organisations. Each one charges a different amount for their services. These different amounts are added together to make your total Council Tax bill. We are responsible for collecting the money and passing it on to these other organisations.

In this area you pay Council Tax to:

Worcestershire County Council

For every pound you pay in Council Tax, 70.4p is given to Worcestershire County Council. This pays for services including, but not limited to, adult social care, looked after children, road and path maintenance, libraries and waste disposal.

West Mercia Police and Crime Commissioner

In 2022/23 you will pay 12.6p in every pound to the West Mercia Police and Crime Commissioner. This is to help fight crime and keep communities safe.

Malvern Hills District Council

We keep just 8.7p in every pound you give us in Council Tax. This funds services including waste and recycling collections, planning services, business support, housing, parks, public toilets, elections, community safety and much more.

Hereford & Worcester Fire and Rescue Service

They get 4.5p out of every pound of Council Tax. Your money helps to support the work of this service including tackling fires, dealing with road traffic collisions and responding to major emergencies like flooding.

Town/parish council

Every area in our district has a town or parish council. 3.8p in every pound goes to them. The services they run vary but they can include parks/playgrounds, allotments, cemeteries, bus shelters, Christmas lights and they also comment on planning applications.

Adult Social Care charge

Adult social care authorities, in our case Worcestershire County Council, are able to increase their share of the Council Tax bill by an extra amount without holding a referendum. For Worcestershire in 2022/23 this is 3% and is specifically to fund the cost of adult social care and is on top of any increase to fund the day-to-day running of services.

How your Council Tax is spent

Our Five Year Plan explains the things we will invest our resources in to make our district even better. Your Council Tax is an important part of that.

Read our statement on our new Five Year Plan commitments and our Five Year Plan in full.

Here are some of the ways we have supported you during 2021-22:

  • Distributed over £36m in business grant funding
  • Made 1.4m rubbish and recycling collections*
  • Invested £2m in the refurbishment of Malvern Splash
  • Provided £4.7m of Restart Grants to businesses post-Covid
  • Completed works on the upper pond in Priory Park and started works on the lower pond
  • Began construction on the new play area 
  • Made a decision on 660 planning applications
  • Supported 1,058 signs ups to our ‘Adopt a Street’ litter scheme
  • Distributed £409k in additional Council Tax support to households
  • Helped provide over £222k of funding to support local businesses
  • Provided more than £550k to communities for new open space/community facilities
  • Provided more than 7,772 community transport journeys to residents
  • Continued to progress the South Worcestershire Development Plan Review
  • 110 affordable homes delivered so far this year; 304 affordable homes delivered since our new plan began in 2020
  • Enabled 366 residents to access targeted community activities to encourage active and healthier lifestyles
  • Worked with Platform Housing to develop an early notification system to support residents at risk of becoming homeless
  • Supported 23 Good Neighbour Networks to start in the district

More detailed information on how other organisations that charge Council Tax spend your money is available below:

Help to pay your Council Tax bill

Depending on your circumstances you may qualify for help with paying your Council Tax bill. Visit our Council Tax Support page for more information. You may also qualify for certain discounts and exemptions on your Council Tax bill.

For information on managing your money and support for paying your bill, visit our Money Advice webpage for more information.

Get your Council Tax bill by email or pay online

You can now get your Council Tax bill straight to your inbox as well as make payments online and by signing up for a self-service account.

Check your Council Tax band

You can check your Council Tax band or rate by putting your postcode into our My Local Area database.