Accessibility Tools

Skip to main content
How can we help you?

Temporary Event Notices (TENs) are a way that you can get permission to sell alcohol, provide entertainment or late night refreshment on a temporary basis.

The person organising an event needs to apply no later than 10 working days before the day on which the event is to start, alongside the fee of £21. A copy of the TEN also needs to be sent to the police and the environmental health officer.

Whilst the minimum notice you have to give is 10 working days (do not count Saturdays and Sundays or any Bank Holidays), we would encourage you to serve your TEN as soon as possible to make sure you can get the permission you want.

When calculating the 10 working days notice period, please note this does not include the day the notice is received by the licensing authority or the day of the event.

Please note:

  • TENs can be used to allow activities at relatively small events held at any premises where no more than 499 people (including staff and performers) will be present at any one time.

  • Anyone aged 18 or over can give a maximum of five TENs each calendar year. If you are a personal licence holder, you can give a maximum of fifty TENs each calendar year.

  • Each event covered by a TEN can last up to a maximum of 168 hours.

  • No more than twelve TENs can be given in respect of any particular premises each calendar year. (this will be 15 from 2016 onwards)

  • TENs can only be used to permit activities to take place at a premises on 21 days each calendar year.

  • There must be a minimum of 24 hours between any two events organised by the same person and taking place at the same premises.

As long as the above rules are followed, only the police or the environmental health officer can intervene to stop an event covered by a TEN from taking place, or to agree changes to the arrangements for the event. 

The police and environmental health can only intervene where they believe that the event would undermine one or more of the licensing objectives.

More information on temporary event notices can be viewed on the GOV.UK website.

Apply online

This is the fastest way for us to receive and process your application.

Apply online

Apply by post

You can apply by post by completing the form below and returning it with the fee of £21 (cheques made payable to Malvern Hills District Council) to:

  • Licensing (Malvern Hills), Wyre Forest House, Fine Point Way, Finepoint Way, Kidderminster, Worcestershire, DY11 7WF

Copies of your application must also be sent to the following two addresses:

  • Environmental Health, Worcestershire Regulatory Services, Wyre Forest House, Kidderminster, Worcestershire, DY11 7WF, and
  • West Mercia Police, Worcester Police Station, Castle Street, Worcester, WR1 3QX

Download a document Temporary Event Notice form (243 KB)

Will tacit consent apply?

Yes. This means that you will be able to act as though your notice is granted if you have not heard from us after 10 working days.