Read our Futureproof page for information on how we can support you to develop life skills.
On this page you can find out more about:
- The Youth Chairperson and Advisors
- The Youth Chairperson's Fund
- The Bigger Picture Survey for young people - you said, we did
- The Inbox Newsletter
- The Youth Champion
- How to have your say and get involved
Hello from your Youth Chairperson
Hi, my name is Matthew and I am a student at Hanley Castle High School. I am interested in politics, ethics and economics, and have always been politically active as a young person, interested in representing others and taking every opportunity to do so. I hope that this role allows me to do exactly that, to speak for the youth of the district and make sure our voices are heard as decisions that directly affect us are made. As part of my role, I am looking forward to working with the local councillors to improve the district for young people, focussing on mental health education and introducing a curriculum for life preparing students for adulthood. I’m also looking forward to working with our Youth Advisors on issues such as climate change and public transport.
Find out more about the role of Youth Chairperson.
Hi from your Youth Advisors
Finn, Year 9 – message to follow.
Lexi, Year 9 - Hi I'm Lexi. I am very passionate about saving the environment and encouraging others to join me as we don't get a second chance. I'm on the eco-council at school and this is an amazing opportunity to extend the message to save our planet!
Meghan, Year 7 - Hello I am Meghan and I am a new Youth Advisor for Malvern Hills District Council. I hope to make an impact on Malvern's Youth. Over the next year, I will hopefully make people happy whilst having fun myself.
Find out more about the role of Youth Advisor.
The Malvern Hills District Council Youth Chair’s Fund is £1,000 that the Youth Chair is offering to fund exciting projects in the district designed by the district’s young people. A group of young people can apply for up to £500, to fund short-term projects, celebrations, trips and equipment that will benefit other local young people and their communities in the district. Not sure if your area is covered by the district? (check your postcode at My Local Area)
The fund enables young people to have a say in young people-focused projects that are delivered in the Malvern Hills district.
Projects must complete within one year of the funding being awarded.
Young people remain a group that we consistently fail to hear from whenever we engage with our residents.
Over the last three years we have been doing a lot of work to try and change that. View the results from our Bigger Picture Survey, in which we consulted over 1200 11-17 year olds during 2018.
We have been working with our partners to develop actions that target some of the key issues young people have raised with us and we have developed a four year action plan.
We also wanted to let you know what we are already doing to tackle some of the issues you raised. Take a look at our 'You said, we did' update below for more details.
You said, we did (latest update, September 2019)
The Inbox newsletter has been produced for young people by young people.
Check out the latest edition of Inbox newsletter (September 2019)
Hello from our Youth Champion, Councillor Caroline Palethorpe
I have been appointed Member Champion for young people at Malvern Hills District Council and I just wanted to introduce myself. I have worked with young people for over 15 years in a number of roles and I will be working hard over the next four years to engage you in the democratic process. I am also really looking forward to working with our very first Youth Chairperson and three Youth Advisors, who will ensure young people across the district have a stronger voice in the decision making process.
There are lots of ways to tell us what you think. You could:
- Attend or join the Worcestershire Youth Cabinet - The Worcestershire Youth Cabinet is a group of young people (aged 11 to 18) who aim to provide all of the young people who live in Worcestershire with a voice – a voice that is heard and listened to by local, regional and national government, by providers of services for young people and by any other agencies who have an interest in the views and needs of young people.
- Come and speak to us - we will be out and about with local councillors in your ward and we will also have a stand at some events.
- Respond to our Consultations - we consult residents on a range of council priorities.
- Contact your local councillors - who are your representatives on the district council. Not sure which ward you live in? Find outusing the My Local Area Search
- Contact your MP - Harriett Baldwin
- Submit a question to a meeting of the full council - you can submit a question to our Council or Overview & Scrutiny Committees on anything relating to issues that affect the general economic, social or environmental well-being of the community.
- Organise and present a petition - anyone who lives, works or studies in the Malvern Hills district can organise a petition.