Accessibility Tools

Skip to main content
How can we help you?

Interested in becoming a councillor?

Read on to find out more about what’s involved in the role at Malvern Hills District Council.

Could you be our next Councillor?

Do you think the local park could be improved? Maybe you want a greater say on planning matters? Then why not become a councillor?

In May 2019 Malvern Hills District Council elected a whole new council with all 31 seats contested. Many parish and town councils also held elections. The next local election at Malvern Hills District Council is due to take place in 2023. So if there’s something you believe should be changed in your neighbourhood then maybe you are the person to do something about it?

Below some of our existing councillors explain why they became a councillor:

Image Quote
Man standing outside with check shirt Cllr Mick Davies, Independent councillor: “I started at parish council level due to some speculative new housing proposals then stood for the district council to ensure Morton residents had an influential voice. I passionately believe party politics has no place in local government and am proud to be an independent councillor. Although I’m retired, council work still takes up a lot of time but I try and prioritise those things that will have a positive, practical outcome. I hope I’ve inspired people to do something rather than just complain.”
Photo of woman with shoulder length grey hair wearing a purple top Cllr Caroline Bovey, Independent councillor: “I wanted to get involved in the decision-making process and felt I couldn’t complain unless I was willing to try and change things. Being a councillor does take up a big part of your life but it is extremely rewarding. The best part is helping people sort out issues they wouldn’t otherwise be able to deal with and when you can resolve something that matters to them you know you’ve made a difference to their lives.”
Photo of man with brown hair wearing a grey shirt Cllr Chris Reed, Green Party: “I've always had an interest in politics and a passion for tackling inequalities. I haven't found it easy to balance councillor duties with full-time work, being a supportive dad and husband as well as my running but I've done my best. It is rewarding when you feel you've made a difference and for me, setting-up Malvern Soup and supporting development of youth services have been highlights. I think it's important councillors don't all look and sound the same.”
Man wearing glasses standing outside in a white jumper with blue stripes 

Cllr Jeremy Owenson: "The District Council takes important decisions about our lives, and we need to make sure that good people represent us.  You need to be passionate about your local area, and care for our community.  You do not need to be a member of a political party, but I stand as a Conservative so people know what I stand for."

What is a councillor?

A councillor is someone who is elected by local people to represent them on a local council. In Malvern you can be elected to a parish or town council, Malvern Hills District Council and Worcestershire County Council. District councillors are elected for a four year term. 

Find a list of Parish or Town Councils (opens in new window) 

What do councillors do?

Councillors are elected by the public to be their representatives. Malvern Hills District Council is responsible for a range of services from collecting people’s waste and recycling to ensuring there are enough homes for people to live in. As one of our councillors you will:

  • Collectively be the ultimate policy-makers for the council, making major decisions on the services the council provides, setting the budget and overseeing how services are run
  • Represent the interests of people in your ward (the area you are elected to represent) collectively, as well as dealing with individual concerns when they arise
  • Respond to electors enquiries and concerns in a fair and impartial manner
  • Contribute to and participate in the good governance of the council
  • Take part in parish/town council meetings for your electoral ward
  • Encourage your constituents to participate and become involved in the decision making process
  • Maintain personal high standards of conduct and ethics in compliance with the Members Code of Conduct Document.  pdf Read Members Code of Conduct Document (opens in new window) (1.81 MB)

The district council's formal meetings run on a cycle and are mostly held during the late afternoon or evening.

View calendar of meetings (opens in new window).

Each kind of council (county, district, town and parish) provides a different set of services to its local area.

County councils

Find out more about Worcestershire County Councils responsibilities (opens in new window).

District councils

District councils deal with issues local to their areas including:

Parish and Town councils

By attending meetings of the parish or town councils within their wards, councillors act as a means of channelling information, and develop an awareness of local non-political activities, as well as dealing with important but immediate issues including:

  • Grass-cutting
  • Bus shelters
  • Cemeteries and
  • Litter

Further information on parish and town councils can be found at the Worcestershire County Association of Local Council (CALC) (opens in new window).

How much time does it take up?

It depends on how much time, effort and commitment each individual councillor is able to give to the role. As a councillor you will have responsibilities such as attending meetings and there is a minimum attendance requirement. A survey carried out by the Local Government Association in 2013 found on average a councillor spent 25 hours a week on their duties.

Will I get paid?

You will not get a salary but all Malvern Hills District Councillors are entitled to:

  • A basic allowance, which is currently £4,350 per year (2018/19); and  
  • Travelling and subsistence expenses

Councillors with special responsibilities (such as Portfolio Holders and some chairmen of committees) will receive additional allowances. Find further details on the Councillors' allowances page.

We also provide other kinds of support such as an initial induction programme with on-going training and access to a councillors' resource portal.

Do I get time off work?

This depends largely on your employer, but anyone considering whether or not to stand as a councillor should bear in mind that there is no statutory right to paid time off work to attend council meetings. Some employers are good at encouraging their employees to be councillors and do allow time off within reason. Anyone considering standing for election as a councillor should always discuss this issue with their employer before standing. Although Section 50 of the Employment Rights Act 1996, provides that time off may be allowed for certain, but not all, public duties, this is largely at the discretion of individual employers.

Do I have to be political?

No. You do not have to be identified with a political party and roughly one-third of councillors are not affiliated with a political party.  Groups within the current councillors include Conservative, Labour, Liberal Democrat and Green parties, plus two groups of independent councillors.

For advice visit the Local Government Association's Independent Group website

How do I become a district councillor?

To become a councillor, you must stand for, and win, an election in one of the district’s electoral wards (there are currently 18 electoral wards, which are represented by 31 members). Malvern Hills District Council is elected in its entirety every four years. The next scheduled election is May 2023.

Who can stand for election?

If you are over 18, a British, Commonwealth or EU citizen and are registered to vote in the area or have lived, worked or owned property there for at least 12 months before an election, you can stand to become a councillor. You are unable to stand for election as a councillor if:

  • In the last five years you have been in prison or on a suspended sentence for three months or more
  • You have been declared bankrupt
  • You are an employee of Malvern Hills District Council
  • You have been disqualified

You will need nomination papers. When there is an election, either a full election or an unscheduled by-election occurring when a seat becomes vacant, once the formal Notice of Election has been published, nomination papers are available from the individual district council's election office for the area in which you wish to stand.

The district council’s elections staff will be able to answer your questions about the nomination process. If you have any queries please contact This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. or telephone 01684 862200.

You need to be nominated to stand as a candidate at the election by:

  • Two electors of the electoral ward (as your proposer and seconder)
  • Eight other electors (supporting your nomination)

An elector is anyone who is on the register of electors for that ward.