Accessibility Tools

Skip to main content
How can we help you?

The Environmental Information Regulations (EIR) are similar to the Freedom of Information Act, but are limited specifically to information regarding the environment.

The EIR grant a right for any individual to request access to environmental information held by public authorities such as Malvern Hills District Council, and for public authorities to take steps to proactively make environmental information available to the public.

Find details on Information Commissioners website (opens in new window) 

View Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs website (opens in new window).

Requests for information

Any individual is entitled to ask for access to environmental information that we hold and a response will usually be given within 20 working days. 

Before you make a request, check our Publication Scheme. It sets out what information we make routinely available, how you can get it and what it will cost.

Read publication scheme

To make a request for information under the EIRs or to find out about the council's Schedule of Charges, please view our Freedom of Information page.


The Regulations allow the council to withhold information if it falls within certain categories. An absolute exception may apply where the requested information is the personal data of someone other than the subject of that data.

In all other cases, we must consider whether the public interest in applying the exception outweighs the public interest in disclosing the requested information.

This may apply when:

  • The request is manifestly unreasonable.
  • The request is for incomplete data.
  • Disclosure would adversely affect international relations, defence, national security or public safety
  • Disclosure would adversely affect intellectual property rights
  • Disclosure would adversely affect the protection of the environment to which it relates.

View Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs website (opens in new window)

Read further details on the information commissioners office (opens in new window)

Complaints and appeals

If you are not happy with the council's response to your request or you have a complaint about the handling of your enquiry please contact Meesha Patel, Legal Services Manager This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it..

Your complaint will be reviewed internally. If you are not happy with the outcome of the internal review of your request, you can appeal to the Information Commissioners Office:

Information Commissioner's Office
Wycliffe House
Water Lane

Telephone 01625 545745.