Weddings and coronavirus secure measures
All ceremonies must follow Covid-19 secure measures we have put in place to keep everyone safe. This includes:
- The wedding party will be allowed into the building 5 minutes before the ceremony is due to begin.
- Everyone needs to use hand sanitiser when entering the building, this is provided on a table at the entrance to the main hallway.
- All guests to use the QR code.
- All guests, apart from the ceremony couple, must wear a face covering unless exempt.
- Guests will need to wipe the arms of the chairs when leaving. Wipes and a bin will be provided.
- Nobody will be allowed back into the building after the ceremony.
- Anyone displaying symptoms of Covid-19 should not attend the ceremony.
The Elgar Room
For that very special day in your life why not book the Elgar Room at the Council House in Great Malvern.
The Council House, once known as Priory Mansion, was built in 1874 by Alfred Speer, who demolished the previous house known as The Priory.
The Council House still retains many of its original features from the ornate main entrance with its spires and gargoyles, to the wood panelled lobby and hall. The grand staircase with its griffins, lead up to a large colourful stained glass window, which is a must for your photographs.
We are ideally located close to the centre of Great Malvern in the grounds of Priory Park which once formed the grounds to the house.
The Elgar Room has been refurbished to preserve and enhance the room's Victorian features. Combined with the beautiful views across Priory Park, it creates a wonderfully romantic setting for Wedding and Civil Ceremonies.
After your ceremony you will step out into the beautiful grounds of Priory Park with its Swanpool, quaint bridges and Victorian bandstand, with the stunning backdrop of the famous Malvern Hills. What better location for those cherished photographs and videos of your special day.
To comply with Fire Regulations the maximum guest capacity is 50 people, this would include a photographer and/or videographer if you have one. The ceremony couple and Registrars are not included within this 50.
There is disabled access to the Council House to ensure that everyone can attend your special day.
Book the Elgar Room
Prices for a one hour ceremony are as follows:
Fridays - £350 VAT inc.
Saturdays - £550 VAT inc.
Please note we no longer offer wedding ceremonies on Thursdays.
You can now check the availability of the Elgar Room and book The Elgar Room online. Ceremonies are conducted by Worcestershire Registration Service.
Your booking will reserve for you the Elgar Room but you will need to contact Worcestershire Registration Service separately to book the registrars and pay their fee. You will be prompted to do this at the end of the online booking service. View registrars fees for more details (opens in new window)
Your booking includes:
- The hire of the room.
- 2 free parking spaces for the ceremony couple and a pay and display car park at the Council House for your other guests. Further parking is also available just a short walk away at Priory Road and Grange Road.
Please note amendments and cancellations of bookings will incur a charge of £100. Cancellation of any bookings more than one month old will not be refunded.
View the Elgar Room
Wedding venue address
Malvern Hills District Council,
By car: M5 North Junction 7 A449 and M5 south Junction 8 and M50 Junction 1, A38, B4211.
By train: Great Malvern railway station is located on Avenue Road and is a five minute walk.
By bus: There is a bus stop on Church Street a two minute walk.