Any planning applications submitted within a conservation area will be assessed to ensure they preserve and enhance the significance of the area. Additional protections, Article 4(2) Directions to remove specific permitted development rights, are in force in several conservation areas.
You can check if there are directions in your area by visiting the My Local Area website.
Works likely to require planning permission can include, but are not limited to:
- New or alterations to existing doors and windows
- Change of roof materials
- Removal of boundaries
- Laying of hardstanding
Malvern Hills offer pre-application advice for those who considering development.
The Heritage Team are also consulted on applications within conservation areas or those likely to affect a conservation area.
Relevant policies and guidance
- South Worcestershire Development Plan website
- National Planning Policy Framework on GOV.UK
- Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990
- Historic England website – What is a Conservation Area?
- Planning Application Forms and Checklists
- Guidance: Accessible Historic Environment
- Article 4 Directions and Permitted Development on Planning Portal website