Accessibility Tools

Skip to main content
How can we help you?
In this section
Footpath Diversions (S257)

Rights of Way

A right of way is legally a highway and anyone can use them at any time. There are different types of rights of way some you can walk on while others you can ride, cycle or drive a vehicle on. Further information on Rights of Way.

With the introduction of the Countryside and Rights of Way Act 2000 (CROW), you can walk freely on mapped areas of mountain, moor, heath, down and registered common land without having to stick to paths. Further information on land management rights/responsibilities.

Rights of way definitive map

Worcestershire County Council are the Highway Authority responsible for the maintenance and upkeep of the Public Rights of Way network in Worcestershire. You can view the most up to date version of the Definitive Map on their Website. To report a problem with the public Rights of Way network or to apply for changes to the map, such as a deletion, addition or diversion of a route, contact the Countryside Service.

Footpath diversion orders

As a planning authority Malvern Hills District Council has the power to deal with applications to divert or stop up (close) public rights of way under s.257 of the Town and Country Planning Act 1990, where the diversion/stopping up is to enable development which has been (or would be) granted planning permission. However, we must be satisfied that it is necessary for any path to be diverted or extinguished.

pdf Apply for a footpath diversion (50 KB)

pdf Guidance notes for footpath diversion application (117 KB)

Listed below are notices of public footpath orders and statements within the last 12 months explaining why the order has been made, and confirming the date by which comments on the order should be received by the district council.


Broadheath 600

Malvern 748

Eldersfield 678

Great Witley 519

Grimley 537

Hallow 552

Leigh Sinton 704

Martley 575

Malvern 880