A register to help us identify the level of demand for self/custom housebuilding plots in Malvern Hills District.
What is Self-build and Custom Housebuilding?
The terms ‘Self-Build’ and ‘Custom Build’ are used to describe situations where individuals or groups are involved in creating their own home. The amount of personal involvement will vary. Self-Build projects are where an individual directly organises and commissions the design and construction of their new home. Custom Build homes are where a developer co-ordinates the whole process for the person/people involved.
What is self-build housing?
Where you organise and design the construction of your own home. You then need to choose how, listed below are some of the options available to you:
- self-build one-off home: you manage the design and construction process and are physically involved in part or all of the construction of your home
- contractor built one-off home: you manage the design process and appoint a contractor to build the home to your specification
- kit home: you select your preferred kit home and possibly establish the foundations. The kit home company then erects the home
- independent community collaboration: you work with others to acquire a site to split into plots then organize the design and construction of your own home
- supported community self-build group: a social landlord or the Community Self-Build Agency helps you build a group of homes together. More information about this can be found on the Community Self-Build Agency website.
What is Custom Build housing?
Where you work with a specialist developer to deliver your own home. There are also different options available with this method as follows:
- developer built one-off home: a developer builds a single home that the self builder completes
- developer led group project: a developer will organise a group and builds the homes that the self builder completes
Self-build and Custom Housebuilding Register
Determining Applications for Entry on the Register
We have 28 days to confirm in writing whether the application is eligible for entry in the register and to make the entry on to the register. Where we believe the applicant is not eligible for entry in the register we must notify the applicant and give reasons.
Notification must be sent to
the individual or
In the case of an association, the lead contact or such other person as the authority considers to be acting on behalf of the association.
Requests to be Removed from the Register
We must remove your details from the register within 28 days of receiving a written request to do so from either an individual or the lead contact of an organisation.
Malvern Hills District Council may remove an entry from the register if the authority considers that the individual (or in the case of an association, any member of the association) is no longer eligible for entry in the register; and, within 28 days of the decision, will notify the registered individual or the lead contact for an organisation giving reasons.
What happens to your information?
This Register will provide an indication of the demand for self-build and custom housebuilding in Malvern Hills District and will help us inform the development of planning / housing policy.
At this stage, you are not making any commitment – we are just trying to find out how much local demand there is for self-build housing and custom-build housing.
The register will not be a public document, but headline information will be published annually in monitoring reports, for example, the number of plots and type of houses required.
Your e-mail address, where provided, will be used by the Council to provide you with a weekly list of planning applications determined by Malvern Hills District Council and appeal decisions. This is to enable you to identify planning permissions which have been granted for sites which might be appropriate for self-build. From time to time we receive information relating to self-build schemes and products which might be of interest to those on our register; this will also be passed on by e-mail where appropriate.
We will not pass identifiable information from the Register onto anyone outside the Council without your written consent.
Please refer to the Self Build Portal for further information on self-build and custom housebuilding.
If you are interested in group or community self build please go to the Community Self-build Agency website.
Please Note: The online portal for the Malvern Hills Self Build Register is hosted in conjunction with Worcester City Council and Wychavon District Council.